Graduate Assistant (Teaching), ESL Program
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Job_Type: Graduate Assistant
Location: Main Campus
Division: Graduate Employment
Provide English language learner support through the International Student Resource Center and EMU IELTS, both services of the ESL Program.
The Teaching Graduate Assistant receives a stipend and a tax-exempt tuition waiver.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Tutor EMU international students whose native language is not English in a variety of skills, such as speaking, pronunciation, note-taking, lecture comprehension, American idioms and culture, reading, and writing
• Assist with placement testing, registration, and orientation of ESL students prior to the start of the semester and exit testing at the end of the semester
• Assist with testing roles in the EMU IELTS test center.
• Ability to work up to 20 hours per week is required.
• GPA of 3.0 or higher is required.
• Admission and enrollment in a graduate program is required.
• Maintenance of a 67% course completion is required.
• Enrollment in at least 6 credits for Fall and Winter semesters is required.
• Admitted to a graduate program in TESOL (preferred) or closely related field with Eastern Michigan University.
• Experience with one-on-one tutoring or language teaching, cross-cultural communication, and working independently to accomplish tasks.
• Fluency in a language in addition to English is preferred.
Please note: In order to be considered for this position, applicants must attach both a cover letter and resume. Failure to do so may result in your application not being considered.
For a full-time GA appointment, the University provides a tuition scholarship for up to 18 credit hours in each academic year (September 1 to August 31) of the assistantship.
For graduate assistants who are appointed to part-time positions and for GAs who begin employment after the start of the semester, the number of credit hours covered by the award will be prorated.
Click here for more benefit related information.
Are you currently enrolled in or do you have a pending application with the MA TESOL program at Eastern Michigan University?
If your response to the question above was "No," are you currently enrolled in or do you have a pending application with a different graduate-level program (or higher) at Eastern Michigan University?
Have you attached your mandatory resume and cover letter? Please be reminded that failure to do so may result in your application not being considered.
Do you acknowledge that your tuition waiver may be taxable beyond $5250 per year?
* Required Question