Assistant Professor (K-12 Ed Leadership)
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Job_Type: Full Time
Location: Main Campus
The Department of Leadership and Counseling is seeking applicants for a tenure track faculty position who will teach graduate-level classes in the field of Educational Leadership for P-16 practitioners; advise students; and chair and serve on doctoral dissertation committees. The faculty member will be expected to maintain a focus in teaching, scholarship, and service as well as collaborate with colleagues throughout the university. The candidate will be expected to work with students on and off campus, face-to-face and in on-line environments. A commitment to working with a culturally diverse student body is required. The opportunity to teach in the undergraduate LEADership program may also be available.
Eastern Michigan University is one of the largest producers of educators in the United States. We are located in Ypsilanti, adjacent to Ann Arbor and 45 minutes from downtown Detroit. The Educational Leadership Program within the Department of Leadership and Counseling offers a master's, specialist and doctoral degree (PhD) in educational leadership. These programs are primarily designed to prepare practitioners for beginning and advanced leadership roles in P-12 and higher education. The EDLD faculty has a long tradition of excellence and innovation.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Teach contractual load of undergraduate and graduate courses as assigned by the department or school.
Assign and submit grades in accordance with established University schedules.
Keep posted office hours during the week which are scheduled at times most beneficial to students.
Provide academic advising to students, if applicable.
Serve on search committees for hiring of new faculty members, departmental committees and other service committees across the university.
Participate in activities such as student registration, orientation, convocations and commencements.
Attend and participate in scheduled departmental meetings and functions.
Provide other support service to the department, college and/or university, if applicable.
Engage in pursuits that enable them to remain current in their respective disciplines.
Engage in pursuits that help to further organize and contribute to growth of the body of knowledge in their respective disciplines, and/or to explore interdisciplinary implications.
Perform related Departmental duties as required.
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between EMU and the EMU Chapter of the American Association of University Professors, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
- A doctorate, or earned doctorate by August 2019, in educational leadership/administration or a closely related field from an accredited institution
- Prior leadership experience in a P-12 school
- Previous teaching experience with preference for graduate-level teaching experience and teaching in an online environment
- Promise and demonstrated commitment to an active research agenda evidenced by publications
- Engagement in the dissemination of research through conferences, presentations, or workshops
- Previous experience or ability to supervise dissertation research
- Administrative experience on a P-12 school as a building or district level administrator
- Experience in quantitative or mixed methodology research
- Applications are particularly welcome from scholars with expertise and teaching interests within one or more of the following areas: school finance, policy analysis, instructional leadership, school law, or quantitative research methodology.
- Experience acquiring or pursuing external funding
- Involvement and/or leadership in local, regional or national organizations
- Familiarity with assessment and accreditation activities
- A demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, social justice, and collaboration.
The successful candidate will serve an eight-month, tenure track appointment with summer employment contingent on student demand and funding. A competitive salary will be based on qualifications and prior experience with a tenure track appointment at the assistant professor rank. Starting date should be no later than August 29, 2019.
Applicants should submit a letter of interest, detailed vitae, teaching statement, research statement including two samples of recent scholarship, graduate transcripts, and names/telephone numbers of at least three references.
Application review will begin December 1, 2018. Review of applications will continue until a finalist is identified. For more information contact Dr. Ron Flowers, Academic Department Head, at 734.487.0255 or [email protected]
If contacted, you will be asked to present official transcripts of your highest degree earned at the time of interview.
ALL ATTACHMENTS MUST BE ATTACHED WHEN SUBMITTING THE APPLICATION. THEY CANNOT BE REVISED OR ADDED ONCE THE APPLICATION HAS BEEN SUBMITTED.
Multicultural experience is desired. Women and members of under-represented groups are encouraged to apply. EMU is an equal opportunity employer.
Eastern Michigan University offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance; a TIAA-CREF retirement plan with employer contributions; an outstanding vacation and time off policy; a tuition waiver program and much more.
Click here to view highlights of the University's total rewards program.
For specific information by employment classification, click here to review the Benefits in Brief information.