Instructor Fellow - Advanced Practice Provider
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Critical Care
Instructor Fellow - Advanced Practice Provider
Position #750581 and 750582 - Requisition #15233
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The Pediatric Advanced Practice Fellowship is a 12-month post-graduate program dedicated to enhancing the development of early-career Pediatric Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants or for those new to to pediatric hospital-based medicine. Recognizing that PNPs and PAs are increasingly utilized in inpatient care models, our program's mission is providing the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary for a provider to succeed in the challenging world of pediatric inpatient medicine. Fellows will rotate through various sections within Children's Hospital Colorado and will provide patient care under the direction of a supervising physician faculty member.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Rotates through general ward pediatrics, pediatric intensive care unit, pulmonary, oncology, cardiology and electives.
- Practices as a fully credentialed provider caring for pediatric patients under the supervision of an attending physician.
- Gathers pertinent information systematically and skillfully from all sources: history, diagnostic tests, and comprehensive physical examinations, behavioral and developmental assessments.
- Communicates verbally all pertinent patient information to the on call attending physician, nursing staff, and other relevant healthcare providers.
- Rounds daily on patients based upon a rotating schedule and collaborates with the attending physician, other attending physicians from consulting services, and with the healthcare team to assess, diagnose, plan, set priorities and realistic outcomes, and evaluate the effectiveness and cost efficiency of patient care.
- Formulates management plans in conjunction with the attending physician and evaluates patient physiologic and behavioral responses to these management plans.
- Documents daily all relevant data including but not limited to results of diagnostic tests, laboratory results, patients' condition, response to therapies/interventions, and follow-up interventions.
- Communicates with the family regarding the changing health care needs of their child.
- Accurately and appropriately performs routine diagnostic and therapeutic techniques according to established protocol and current pediatric critical care standards.
- Initiates and performs measures necessary to resuscitate and stabilize a compromised pediatric patient according to current critical care and AHA standards.
- Keeps knowledge base current by reading professional literature, attending educational programs, and reviewing changes in health legislation and relevant professional research.
- Participates in interdisciplinary quality improvement and/or research activities.
- Participate in documenting outcome measures.
- Identifies potential areas of research.
- Completes didactic work including attending lectures, completing online modules, outlined fellow curriculum, simulations and case-studies.
- Undergoes evaluation for successful completion of the fellowship program to include direct observation, written evaluation, and capstone project.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates may be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position non-negotiable. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation (for questions, please contact Jessica Martella at [email protected])
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Graduation from an APAP approved Physician Assistant Training Program.
- Certification from the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants.
- Colorado license will be required prior to start date.
- BLS and PALS certificaqtions will be required prior to start date.
Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
- Graduate of an accredited BSN program.
- Graduate of an accredited MSN program.
- APN license.
- BLS and PALS certification will be required prior to start date.
- Pediatric Nursing Certification Board certificate or other comparable certification.
- Acute Care Nurse Practitioner certification.
- Ability to obtain Prescriptive Authority in the State of Colorado. Will need to qualify for and obtain prescriptive authority within one year of start date.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must successfully pass a 10-panel drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal and sex-offender background check
Required Competencies: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and written;
- Ability to handle stressful situations with professional composure;
- Skill in prioritizing patient and system needs appropriately;
- Knowledge and skill in customer service delivery;
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team;
- Well Organized and efficient in their work;
- Knowledge of quality improvement, family centered care, and evidence based practice;
- Strong desire to work with the pediatric population, specifically in the inpatient hospital setting;
- Ability to adapt to a frequently changing environment;
- Ability to critically evaluate complex and conflicting information streams.
- Previous experience in a pediatric clinical setting.
- Previous experience working in a multidisciplinary team.
- Previous experience working a hospital setting.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Required Application Materials: When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references. 4. 2 Letters of recommendation, at least one must be from a professional reference 5. One-page personal statement discussing interest in pediatric inpatient medicine and this career Questions should be directed to APP Fellowship at [email protected]
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Additional Attachments - Refer to Application Materials Instructions Below
Application Materials Instructions:Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by February 28, 2019. Those who do not apply by February 28, 2109 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20999 - SOM-PEDS Critical Care-GenOps
Posting Date: Nov 27, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: APP Fellowship
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00750582