Senior Systems Administrator, Windows
Job Description Summary:
I. JOB OVERVIEW
The Division of Information Technology (it.gwu.edu) is the chief provider of technology infrastructure, services and applications at GW. The Division partners with stakeholders across GW to equip students, staff and faculty with the technology knowhow and tools necessary to achieve academic excellence. Reporting to the Assistant Director of Enterprise Systems & Services, the Senior Systems Administrator, Windows supports the Division's Systems Engineering Services department.
The Senior Systems Administrator, Windows is responsible for effective decision making on provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware, software and infrastructure, both for DIT managed infrastructure and third-party infrastructure platforms (AWS, Azure, VMware etc.). Accountable for the operating systems and services that support the University enterprise application platform environment; Responsibilities include system administration, platform engineering, provisioning, operations and support, which includes documentation of developed standards and procedures, maintenance, research and development to ensure continual innovation. The incumbent will also provide training to relevant University personnel regarding the use of equipment, diagnosing problems, repairs, maintenance, and installation of service software and components
This position is based at GW's campus in Ashburn, VA, the University's flagship research and technology center, strategically positioned in the Northern Virginia technology corridor, but may require occasional travel to the GW's Foggy Bottom campus in Washington, DC.
The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.Minimum Qualifications:
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 5 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Master's degree or higher in a relevant area of study plus 3 years of relevant professional experience. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications:
• Providing after hours on-call support is expected.
• May be required to lift, carry, or move equipment of varying size, weighing up to 25 lbs.
• Working competency in designing and deploying enterprise system solutions
• Working competency in designing, deploying, and maintaining Microsoft Windows servers
• Working competency in managing Microsoft System Center tools and other enterprise system configuration and monitoring platforms - e.g. SCOM, SCCM, Nagios, Puppet
• Working competency in designing, implementing and maintaining security best practices in accordance with industry standards
• Working competency in deploying and managing of various Microsoft technologies - e.g. IIS, cluster, file share
• Working competency in performance analysis and capacity planning
• Working competency in system/task automation - e.g. powershell, vbscript, python, node.js, ruby, go
• Experience in designing, deploying, migrating and integrating services into the public cloud - e.g. AWS, Azure
• Experience in virtualization and managing systems in a virtualized environment - e.g. VMware
• Experience in deploying and managing of Microsoft Active Directory and GPO
• Experience in engineering fault tolerant and highly available services
• Experience in testing methodologies and version control - e.g. git
• Experience in database management - e.g. MS SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle
• Strong organizational skills managing multiple priorities while maintaining attention to detail.
• Strong communications and customer service skills.
• Strong problem-solving abilities to identify challenges, root cause analysis and offer improvement changes.
• Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA), Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) - Cloud Platform, Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) - Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner, AWS Certified SysOps Administrator, AWS Certified Solutions Architect, VMware Certified Associate (VCA), Certified Puppet Professional, Information Technology Infrastructure Library Foundations (ITIL), or equivalent certification in relevant programs desired.
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Ashburn, Virginia College/School/Department: Division of IT Family Information Technology Sub-Family Systems Administration Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 3 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday - Friday Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa statusInternal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S007802 Job Open Date: 11/27/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What do you think are some of the challenges of this role in higher education, and what are some of the opportunities?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Does the professional experience section of your resume include months?
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is your salary range expectation?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter