Applications Administrator II - Email
Job ID 2018-5539
Posted Date 2018-11-27
Category Professional Staff
Department IT - Academic Support
Hours Per Week 40
Weeks Per Year 52
Under supervision of the Manager of Application Services in the Office of Information Technology, the Application Administrator II supports email, messaging, and cloud collaboration services for centralized, enterprise-level technology service delivery. Helps to ensure the area's technological level remains up to date and provides 24x7 availability support for assigned applications. Helps with solutions to problems that may arise in an expeditious, efficient, and timely manner. Responsible for performing job duties in accordance with the mission, vision and values of the University of Central Oklahoma.
Perform configuration, administration, and technical support of software application products. Run necessary system backups. Provide troubleshooting assistance on software application related issues. Requires a strong functional understanding of software architecture.
Department Specific Essential Job Functions
Performs all aspects of functional system administration and technical application management for assigned applications. Communicates and fosters professional relationships with clients (faculty, staff, students, external), committees and departments. Coordinates with other OIT departments for integration and connectivity. Works with system administrators, database administrators, application administrators, software developers, and web administrators in installation/upgrades and maintaining services, as appropriate. Participates in IT project committees and appropriate application user groups.
- Responsible for maintaining and managing the university's messaging and cloud collaboration services such as Microsoft Office 365 suite of products, Google product suite, and enterprise DropBox. Aids in integration of services with other cloud-based applications and tools.
- Performs implementation tasks related to Microsoft Office 365 and other cloud applications, including configuration, integration, custom programming and end user rollouts. Reviews manual processes and automates tasks via PowerShell when feasible.
- Oversees the entire lifecycle of email communication including but not limited to user access, mail flow, mail security/protection, legal holds and monitoring.
- Monitors metrics for spam, phishing, malware, and other email security issues and nuisances, implementing new rules and configuration changes as needed to reduce false positives, improve the capture rate of potentially damaging emails, and reduce volume of end-user requests to address such emails. Provides reports of such metrics and improvements on a regular basis.
- Proactive approach to monitoring performance and capacity to ensure access, availability and usability of supported systems.
- Creates and maintains documentation including diagrams, operational and support procedures. Publishes client-facing support documents to improve user experience. Collaborates with Technology Resource Center trainers and support staff to create online training modules and deliver scheduled and just-in -time application training opportunities.
- Maintain access, security, scalability and usability of assigned application(s).
- Researches and communicates new features of assigned application(s) and unused tool functionality to drive the platform expansion and adoption, which includes developing road maps, guides, standards and procedures.
- Interacts with end users, service desk, team members and stakeholders in gathering information to define and document required changes to the environment. Assists IT management in preparing business and use cases.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Requires a bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field plus 3 years application experience or 7+ years of comparable work experience. Experience in technical and application support Microsoft Windows Server Strong Microsoft SQL Skills Client Satisfaction focused Ability to train users on systems and applications Strong communication skills with technical and non-technical staff.
- Progressive hands-on experience administering large Office 365, Exchange 2016, Exchange 2013 or 2010 hybrid environments.
- Extensive experience in administering an Active Directory environment.
- Experience with secure email gateways in particular FortiMail.
- Experience creating, modifying, and troubleshooting scripts within a large enterprise using languages such as PowerShell, PowerShell ISE, shell.
- Professional certifications such as ITIL v3 Foundations, MCSA: MSOffice 365 or MCSA: Cloud Platform.
- A Bachelor or Masters of Science degree in a technical field, such as Engineering, Computer Science, or Information Technology.
Must possess strong customer service and interpersonal skills. Strong analytical, organization and collaboration skills. Ability to work well under pressure, handling multiple tasks and balancing multiple objectives, while consistently ensuring the timely completion of priority objectives. Ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical users. Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to author procedures, knowledgebase articles and proposals. An advanced working knowledge of and experience with the design, installation and technical support of messaging and cloud collaboration solutions in a large environment. Proficient with PowerShell, PowerShell ISE, Exchange Management Shell, and general programming best practices and troubleshooting methods. ITIL v3 foundation knowledge, with particular focus on change management, incident and problem management, and continual service improvement. Adheres to and complies with UCO's shared values and the Office of Information Technology's Code of Ethics. This position is on-call 24x7x365 and requires the successful candidate to have high-speed internet access to their residence, and maintain a smart phone on which to receive telephone calls, email and SMS messages from servers and authorized OIT personnel.
Repetitive movement of hands and fingers - typing and/or writing. Frequent standing, and/or sitting. Occasional walking, stooping, kneeling or crouching. Reach with hands and arms. Visually identify, observe and assess. Ability to communicate with supervisor/students/colleagues. Regular physical attendance required. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations (in accordance with ADA requirements) may be made, upon request, to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.