Student Support Specialist
Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date September 28, 2018
Position Title Student Support Specialist
Vacancy # VC-339
Department Residence Life
Division Student Devel And Campus Life
Under the supervision of the Assistant Director, the Student Support Specialist is responsible for serving as the primary point of contact to provide high level of customer service serving the needs of the department, student and visitor community within an atmosphere of professionalism and usage of all forms of communication. This role will perform an array of complex and analytical administrative support assignments requiring the use of independent judgment and working knowledge of departmental and divisional rules, regulations, and policies. S/he will also serve as backup support of staff assignments/projects in their absence as directed by management.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assists the Assistant Director with basic to complex clerical record keeping, as well as organization of operations overseeing a residential area (i.e. RMS check in/outs, student conduct case inputting, key/proxy card audits, health and safety paperwork, facility work order audits, summer conference assistance).
• Relieves the supervisory official (Assistant Director/Community Director) of office detail and acts as his/her Student Support Specialist.
• Provides assistance to all visitors to the office. Receives callers, determines their reasons for visiting the office, and provides them with the required information according to department procedures and, as possible, sees that the desired objectives are achieved.
• Organizes assigned clerical, typing, filing, scheduling of appointments, prepares agenda of meetings, conferences and hearings.
• Prepares diverse correspondence, forms, reports, and documents from varied copy accurately and rapidly.
• Provides assignment, instruction, and support to student staff members.
• Answers inquiries (via telephone calls, emails or in person visits) concerning general residential, housing and enrollment services information and makes appropriate referrals.
• Composes answers to routine letters or e-mail and prepares other letters or e-mails in accord with office regulations, policies and regulations.
• Maintains confidentiality of essential records, reports, files and other sensitive information.
• Responsible for assisting in day-to-day operations and functions of the residence halls in the absence of the community directors.
• Coordinate with police and emergency response personal during a crisis or emergency and support students in crisis and properly refer to campus resources.
• Provide assistance with community opening and closing procedures, as needed.
• Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements
• Graduation from an accredited college with a Bachelor's degree.
NOTE: Applicants who do not possess the required education may substitute experience on a year for year basis.
NOTE: Applicants who possess an Associate's degree may substitute two (2) years of position-related experience for the remaining two (2) years of education.
• Three (3) years of professional work experience in office management, customer service and clerical work in a higher education setting.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in addition.
• Excellent customer service and interpersonal communication skills
• High proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher, as well as internet and related departmental programs (Simplicity Advocate, Workday, Banner Student and etc.
*NOTE: This is a civil service position. After successfully serving a 4-Month Working Test Period as required by the State of New Jersey, you will then be certified to your position, meaning you will attain a permanent status in this title.
Salary Range: P16: $42,895.85-$60,350.09
*NOTE: Salaries for internal candidates are determined by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission's formula. Salaries for external candidates are determined up to no more than $48,713.93.
*When submitting a resume and cover letter, please combine the documents into one single PDF or Word document via the apply link.*
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION