Network Engineer I
Information Technology (IT) is the unified IT organization that supports the vision, values, mission, and goals of the University by providing IT infrastructure, systems, administrative applications, academic resources and related services to faculty, students and staff. Embracing DUs Impact 2025, the division aligns IT resources with University and unit strategic goals and operational plans, providing service in the spirit of One DU. The IT Operations team is responsible for the day-to-day operational support of all university owned data, voice, and video services. This includes but is not limited to routers, switches, wireless LAN, Voice over IP and call center applications.
The role of the Network Engineer I is to work with the Director of IT Operations to enable the university to offer highly available, robust voice services 24 hours per day and 365 days per year. Additionally, the Network Engineer I is to assist in managing the IT Infrastructure through support of converged multi-vendor hardware and software solutions. The Network Engineer I is responsible for installation, design, operations and maintenance of the University's geographically disperse compute network.
- Design and implement functional and secure wired and wireless network infrastructure.
- Configure and install software, servers, routers, switches and other network devices.
- Monitor network performance and its integrity.
- Maintain current and thorough knowledge of modern route/switch technologies.
- Maintain current and thorough knowledge of voice and collaboration technologies.
- Lead and assist in developing technical and user-facing documentation.
- Demonstrate excellent organizational abilities, ability to prioritize and follow up on open issues and projects with a sense of urgency.
- Ensure that service delivery and customer satisfaction exceed published service levels and coordinate escalation of issues as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to set and manage priorities judiciously.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Intermediate expertise with routing, switching and VoIP solutions.
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Self-motivated and directed.
- Attention to detail.
- Intermediate analytical, evaluative and problem-solving abilities.
- Customer service orientation.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand and satisfactorily communicate with others in English in person, over the phone and via email.
- Bachelor's degree in the field of computer science, information systems, telecommunications or related field or an equivalent combination of education, licenses/certifications and experience.
- 1-3 years of IT and/or industry work experience including network and voice operations.
- Master's degree in the field of computer science, information systems, telecommunications or related field.
- Training and/or certification in routing, switching and enterprise wireless operations and maintenance.
- Experience in supporting multiple cross-functional teams or projects.
- Current knowledge of Aruba, Cisco and Palo Alto Networks solutions.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on Monday, December 10, 2018.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
The University of Denver is an affirmative action employer and that age 40 and over, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or any other applicable status protected by state or local law are not taken into account in any employment decision.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.