Licensed Professional Counselor
This position is responsible for providing counseling services to Fort Valley State University students.
- Utilizes evidence-based therapeutic modalities to provide individual and group counseling to students.
- Provides emergency and crisis counseling to students, faculty, staff and administrators.
- Provides appropriate community referrals.
- Supervises graduate and undergraduate interns.
- Interprets students' psycho-educational assessment reports; determines needs and provides individualized academic accommodations; interprets psychological and development assessments and inventories.
- Develops treatment plans.
- Maintains confidential records of student sessions.
- Develops and facilitates structured groups, workshops, presentations and counseling outreach programs.
- Promotes the adoption of healthy lifestyle choices for mental, emotional and social health.
- Assists in the development and implementation of policies and procedures.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of counseling services in the context of higher education.
- Knowledge of federal and state laws related to counseling services.
- Knowledge of counseling principles as related to at-risk populations and crisis situations.
- Skill in the provision of counseling services to a diverse student body.
- Skill in the operation of computers and job related software programs.
- Skill in decision making and problem solving.
- Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
The Director of Student Health & Counseling Services assigns work in terms of very general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include Georgia Composite Board for Professional Counselors guidelines as well as department, university, and Board of Regents policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of varied counseling duties. The unique nature of each student's needs contributes to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to provide counseling services to students, faculty and staff. Success in this position provides effective counseling services to students.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, other university personnel, students, parents, representatives of external service providers, and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, to resolve problems, to provide services, or to motivate or influence persons.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table.
- The work is typically performed in an office.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
The employee supervises assigned student interns.
- Master's degree in a course of study related to the occupational field.
- More than three years of related experience required.
- Current LMHC state of Georgia licensure
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.