Assistant Vice President for Communications and Marketing
Assistant Vice President for Communications and Marketing
Job ID: 19750
Location: Kingsborough Community College
Reporting to the President, and serving as an integral member of the senior management team, the Assistant Vice President (AVP) of Communications and Marketing will be responsible for the development of Kingsborough Community College’s communication strategy and will contribute to KCC’s organizational strategic planning process. The AVP of Communications and Marketing will develop a world-class communications plan for KCC, directly managing communications activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization’s brand reputation. Responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance KCC’s brand identity; broaden awareness of its programs and priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences.
- Create marketing/public relations strategy that will allow KCC to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers.
- Oversee development of all KCC print communications including the annual report, marketing collateral materials and electronic communications including social media, manage relationships with associated vendors.
- Serve as spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the college.
- Exercise judgement to prioritize media opportunities and prepare talking points, speeches, presentation and other supporting material as needed.
- Actively engage, cultivate, and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding KCC programs, special events, public announcement, and other projects.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function including budgeting, planning and supervision and staff development.
- Act as the chief advisor to the president in matters pertaining to the public perception of the college through the various media outlets.
- Work with the executive staff to provide strategies to enhance the visibility and reputation of the college.
- Develop communications plans to achieve key institutional goals and strengthen the college’s brand.
- Ensure that the college has strong relationships with the media for the active participation of the college president, faculty, and staff.
- Promote the achievement of Kingsborough students.
- Oversees and manage the college’s website content and its presence in social media (e.g. Facebook. Twitter, etc.).
- Collaborate with the CIO with regard to college website.
- At the discretion of the college’s president, the AVP of Communications and Marketing may be assigned additional duties.
This position is in CUNY's Executive Compensation Plan. All executive positions require a minimum of a Bachelor's degree and eight years' related experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field is required, an advanced degree is preferred
- Minimum 8 years’ experience in a senior management role
- Demonstrate skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements
- Extensive successful writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online communications media
- Demonstrate experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing program to advance our organization’s mission and goals
- Experience in planning, writing, editing, and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports, marketing literature, and other print publications and directories
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output
- Experience in building, mentoring and coaching a team of communications specialists
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
- Excellent and persuasive communicator
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative and proactive
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal and presentations skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior leadership
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- Ability to manage and work within a large urban university system
Assistant Vice President
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID 19750 or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates should provide a resume and cover letter.
December 24, 2018
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Executive
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.