Part-Time Advisor I, College Connections
Commitment to Mission:
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- Students Matter
- Inspire Excellence
- Act Intentionally
- Better Together
- No Fear!
The Chronicle of Higher Education's "Great Colleges to Work For" is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.
Campus Marketing Statement:
Lone Star College-North Harris
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow's workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of six colleges, eight centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, was named a 2017 Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-North Harris, nestled on 200 acres of piney woods, is the original and largest college in the Lone Star College System family. Serving the community for more than three decades, LSC-North Harris offers more than 60 programs of study, including university-transfer and numerous education courses and programs. LSC-North Harris is keenly focused on leading-edge technology in emerging technical job fields.
Campus address is 2700 W.W. Thorne Drive. Houston, Texas 77073-3499
The Advisor I meets with students in assigned discipline on a regular basis to provide advising, track academic progress and success/completion/retention. Advise students on proper course selection for credit programs and make appropriate referral to non-credit certificate programs including TSI regulations, course prerequisites, co-requisites and career advising. Collaborates with personnel in assigned department and related areas/other departments in order to identify potential early interventions need; assist Department Directors in planning and developing successful academic support programming and events
- Advises students in assigned department/discipline. Meets with students on a regular basis to track their academic progress and success
- Assists students with reviewing their Academic Advising Report and creating their MEP (My Educational Plan)
- Advises students on proper course selection for assigned discipline/department credit certificate and degree programs and makes referrals to non-credit certificate programs. Advising includes TSI regulations, course prerequisites, co-requisites and career advising
- Acquires and processes data regarding students in assigned discipline in order to complete job function
- Collaborates with personnel in assigned department and related areas (college staff and faculty) in order to identify potential early interventions needed
- Refers students to counselors, college resources (organizations) and outside organizations when necessary
- Assists the Directors/Managers in planning and developing successful academic support programming and events
- Develops department/position objectives and strategies
- Meets with students on a regular basis to track their progress and success. Maintains accurate documentation of meetings
- Monitors processes, materials and surroundings, ensuring accuracy and compliance with all relevant rules, regulations and policies at all times
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Proficiency with common office software
- High level of customer service
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Strong attention to accuracy and detail for tracking of student success and student educational plans
- Ability to communicate and work well with all levels of students
- Ability to prioritize duties
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
Work Schedule & Conditions:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
Please go to your profile page. To add a file, select the "attachments" tab. Click on the "add" tab. Click "Browse" and select the file you want to attach. Then click "attach." It will redirect you back to the general profile page. Repeat steps to add additional documents.
Tips: You can only attach a maximum of five (5) files no larger than 2MB (2047 bytes) each. The total file capacity is 10MB. If your individual file exceeds the file limit, you will receive an error message. The search tool recruiter's use for candidates will not be able to analyze the content of some attached files, mostly image files, and compressed files (zip). The recommended file attachments are word or pdf files.
Please include the requisition number and your name in the title of your file. You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
Duration of Job Posting:
Position posted until filled
- Bachelor's degree and at least 1 year of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in a higher education setting
- Previous experience working with students who have unique barriers and experience in assisting these students with their educational success
Benefits Marketing Statement:
By joining our top notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization recognized for the 3rd year in a row as a "Great College To Work For". We offer a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition reimbursement, participation in the TIAA-CREF retirement plan and more.
How to Apply:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY!
Application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivery will not be accepted.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Primary Location: US-Texas-Houston
Work Locations: 2700 WW Thorne Dr (0100) , 2700 WW Thorne Dr , Houston , 77073
Job: Student Services
Organization: LSC North Harris - 01
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Job Posting: Sep 27, 2018, 5:37:43 PM