Part-Time Advisor I, College Connection
Commitment to Mission:
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- Students Matter
- Inspire Excellence
- Act Intentionally
- Better Together
- No Fear!
The Chronicle of Higher Education's "Great Colleges to Work For" is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.
Campus Marketing Statement:
Lone Star College-Kingwood
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow's workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of six colleges, eight centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, was named a 2017 Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-Kingwood, an innovative and dynamic community college located in the pine-forested suburbs of northeast Houston, has an opening for someone interested in working with a diverse group of colleagues who want to make a difference in the lives of students and grow professionally. Kingwood focuses on fulfilling individual dreams and enhancing community life and offers unique programs in respiratory care, computer gaming and dental hygiene.
Campus address is 20000 Kingwood Drive. Kingwood, Texas 77339-3801
The Advisor I meets with students in assigned discipline on a regular basis to provide advising, track academic progress and success/completion/retention. Collaborates with multiple high schools within the college's service area to advise high school students who are interested in becoming college ready before they graduate, as well as those interested in dual credit and/or early college courses. Leads and facilitates student's transition from high school to college. Communicates with students on a regular basis to track their success and progress. Reports on progress of students and involves others within the institution.
- Assists the Program Manager with planning and implementing the marketing plan for the department
- Assists the Program Manager with planning and developing successful outreach programming and events
- Advises and monitors high school students and parents on outcomes of college readiness assessment and college and career options and refers to appropriate program
- Assists students and parents in developing a course of action to become college-ready by the end of the senior year; Facilitates transition of high school students into the college environment
- Coordinates and works with high school counselors in all aspects necessary to schedule, advise, and present to students on their campuses
- Refers students and parents to college resources that are available to assist them in the selection of career paths, colleges, and majors/certifications, financial aid, scholarships and related services and assists students in scheduling assessment and career-exploration testing.
- Provides information regarding services and resources available at the college level for students with special needs adhering to ADA and 504 regulations
- Creates and coordinates workshops on study skills and learning strategies, and prepares and gives presentations. Creates visual aids, handouts, and manuals as needed
- Develops a database that tracks and reports students' progress toward college-readiness, and reports participation statistics and progress of high school students PDXComp10012018
- Oversees the promotion and registration of on-campus events (i.e. Open House, New Student Orientation, College Night, and College Day Visits) and the Summer Bridge program and other summer programs or projects as assigned
- Assists students with the online application process, preparing students to take the college entrance assessments (i.e. the Compass test) and registering students for high school and college programs, as appropriate
- Responsible for other reasonable related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Proficiency with common office software
- High level of customer service
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Strong attention to accuracy and detail for tracking of student success and student educational plans
- Ability to communicate and work well with all levels of students
- Ability to prioritize duties
- The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile.
- No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
Work Schedule & Conditions:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows
- environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
Please go to your profile page. To add a file, select the "attachments" tab. Click on the "add" tab. Click "Browse" and select the file you want to attach. Then click "attach." It will redirect you back to the general profile page. Repeat steps to add additional documents.
Tips: You can only attach a maximum of five (5) files no larger than 2MB (2047 bytes) each. The total file capacity is 10MB. If your individual file exceeds the file limit, you will receive an error message. The search tool recruiter's use for candidates will not be able to analyze the content of some attached files, mostly image files, and compressed files (zip). The recommended file attachments are word or pdf files.
Please include the requisition number and your name in the title of your file. You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
Duration of Job Posting:
Position posted until filled
- Bachelor's degree and at least 1 year of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience working in higher education setting
- Previous experience working with students who have unique barriers and experience in
assisting these students with their educational success
Benefits Marketing Statement:
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in the TIAA-CREF retirement plan and more.
How to Apply:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY!
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Primary Location: US-Texas-Kingwood
Work Locations: 20000 Kingwood Dr (0200) , 20000 Kingwood Dr , Kingwood , 77339
Job: Student Services
Organization: LSC Kingwood - 02
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Required Documents: Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Job Posting: Sep 27, 2018, 8:09:03 PM