Part-Time Coordinator I, Lab-Fire Science
Commitment to Mission:
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- Students Matter
- Inspire Excellence
- Act Intentionally
- Better Together
- No Fear!
The Chronicle of Higher Education's "Great Colleges to Work For" is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.
Campus Marketing Statement:
Lone Star College-CyFair
Lone Star College, located in the north metropolitan Houston area, is one of the largest and fastest growing community colleges in the country featuring six comprehensive colleges and 10 centers with over 95,000 credit and non-credit students each semester, an annual budget exceeding $500,000,000, and 7,300 employees spread over a 2100 square mile area.
LSC adds $3.1 billion to the local and regional economy by providing educational opportunities across the north Houston region. Lone Star College-CyFair, a comprehensive community college for the 21st century, provides a dynamic, collaborative learning environment for life-long learning centered on learning engagement.
Located in suburban northwest Houston in the heart of the CyFair Community, the college provides a full range of offerings including unique programs in fire science technology, logistics management and sonography. Since opening our award winning campus in 2003, the college has experienced record growth and supports an exciting learning environment that brings together state-of-the-art technology and active, collaborative learning.
Campus address is 9191 Barker Cypress Road. Cypress, Texas. 77433-1383.
The PT Lab Coordinator coordinates all aspects of the laboratory experience for the biology classes, including evaluating, requesting and justifying budget funds, purchasing of all materials and supplies, maintaining an inventory of appropriate materials for each course, training the instructors as necessary on how to use the equipment or follow the protocols for each lab, directing the proper disposal of hazardous materials, assisting as required in the classroom, and coordinating lab schedules with instructors. He or She also supports the Geology and Physics departments by evaluating and justifying budgets, purchasing materials and supplies, training and assisting instructors as necessary on using equipment or protocols, maintaining their inventories, and coordinating their contracted services.
- Prepare the labs that the professors request. Clean glassware and make all solutions for labs. Organize materials in prep area in order to maintain a clean, safe work environment. Reset labs for each new class that comes into the lab. Conduct setup and breakdown of labs and assist instructors as needed. Take down, clean, organize, and put away lab equipment.
- Collect and arrange lab materials, in accordance with requirements set by the lab manual and syllabi, and make them available to classes.
- Coordinate lab schedules and maintain constant communications with instructors concerning laboratory issues. Communicate with faculty and staff to maintain a schedule to ensure smooth transitions between labs.
- Ensure safety and good practice procedures.
- Evaluate new lab manuals (when applicable) and determine any new materials, supplies, equipment or training needed to ensure the success of the lab experience.
- Evaluate and justify budgets. Communicate budgetary concerns to management.
- Identify issues that arise due to inconsistencies or changes in curriculum and make necessary adjustments to lab requirements.
- Instruct and reinforce training in other lab assistants.
- Interact with online lab scheduling software in order to prepare proper labs. Update and schedule board to inform all lab workers of labs scheduled.
- Maintain a chemical inventory. Keep chemicals properly labeled and stored in a safe manner. Maintain inventory on educational materials necessary for labs. Purchase materials and supplies and maintain inventory (receiving, labeling, proper storage).
- Process biohazard materials and waste in accordance with state and federal safety laws.
- Set up and maintain Right-to-Know Centers and a chemical inventory/SDS.
- Update lab preparation sheets.
- Must be computer literate
- Safety record and safety consciousness
- Flexible and creative to perform multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work with a diverse group of faculty and staff
- The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
Work Schedule & Conditions:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
Please go to your profile page. To add a file, select the "attachments" tab. Click on the "add" tab. Click "Browse" and select the file you want to attach. Then click "attach." It will redirect you back to the general profile page. Repeat steps to add additional documents.
Tips: You can only attach a maximum of five (5) files no larger than 2MB (2047 KB) each. The total file capacity is 10MB. If your individual file exceeds the file limit, you will receive an error message. The search tool recruiter's use for candidates will not be able to analyze the content of some attached files, mostly image files, and compressed files (zip). The recommended file attachments are word or pdf files.
You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
Duration of Job Posting:
Position posted until filled
- High school diploma or GED and at least 1 year of related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
By joining our top notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization recognized for the 3rd year in a row as a "Great College To Work For". We offer a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition reimbursement, participation in the TIAA-CREF retirement plan and more.
How to Apply:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY!
Application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivery will not be accepted.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check
Primary Location: US-Texas-Cypress
Work Locations: 9191 Barker Cypress Rd (0500) , 9191 Barker Cypress Rd , Cypress , 77433
Job: Student Services
Organization: LSC Cy Fair - 05
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Required Documents: Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Job Posting: Nov 27, 2018, 1:41:16 AM