Network Consultant 3, UCP 9
Job Title: Network Consultant 3, UCP 9
Job ID: 2019198
Location: Storrs Campus
Under the direction of the Director of Telecommunications, this position provides advanced level technical expertise in support of the University's voice systems. This position is responsible for leading and managing the service team for Voice Operations in Information Technology Services (ITS). This group is responsible for translating customer needs for voice requirements into effective solutions and for meeting these service requirements through coordination with other groups in ITS.
The Voice Operations team provides Enterprise IP Telephony, service to the University of Connecticut. These services include provisioning and troubleshooting enterprise voicemail, Automated Call Distribution (ACD), analog and ISDN voice service, Voice over IP, cell phones and peripheral products. Duties include overseeing incident management processes, establishing and monitoring Service Level Agreements, monitoring staff performance, responding to customer inquiries, and providing regular status updates to executive management.
The incumbent must work well with customers, vendors, peers and management and must have the ability to work independently as well as in team environments. Individuals considered for this position must be highly independent and capable of understanding and evaluating complex networking interrelationships. This position offers considerable opportunity for responsibility and influence in a cutting edge, challenging, congenial and flexible environment.
The University of Connecticut has been named the top public university in New England for over a decade and is ranked among the top public universities in the nation. The University of Connecticut is also a Carnegie Foundation Research University, a prestigious honor shared by only the nation's top higher education institutions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Directs the activities of the Voice Operations staff; identifies staffing needs and is responsible for hiring, supervision, training, mentoring, evaluations, work schedules and work assignments. Manages all routine personnel functions. Develops training plans for staff and self that ensures that new technologies are understood and fit into plans and enhancements.
- Provides technical leadership in designing, developing, scheduling and implementing the telephony network requiring a thorough understanding of the principles of analog and ISDN, and VoIP telephone systems, computer systems, network systems and information management systems.
- Prepares budget requests as part of the overall ITS budget planning process and manages the established budget.
- Plans and directs project work, including evaluation, selection and acquisition of hardware and software, as well as product installation, testing and documentation; interfaces with vendors as needed to ensure successful completion of projects and writes progress reports.
- Responsible for ensuring the continuous, uninterrupted availability and functionality of the University voice network and coordinates appropriate resources to respond to outages and emergencies. Develops plans and processes that ensure minimum risk to voice services; analyzes plans and directs security and disaster recovery needs.Maintains emergency management readiness for system outages and disasters.Responsible for immediate response and appropriate recovery using planned response assets.
- Represents departmental interest on University-wide and statewide committees, special interest groups, projects and communications forums. Publishes and disseminates results. Researches reviews, investigates and writes comprehensive reports on new and emerging technologies.
- Responsible for development, review, implementation and management of vendor contracts, personnel, scopes of work and services.
- Recommends for purchase, configures and troubleshoots software and/or hardware for telephony systems.
- Prepares and submits comprehensive project plans and supporting information to aid in effective short and long-range planning; makes recommendations based on analysis of current and future needs, new advances in the field, applicability of technology to University systems and most cost-effective delivery of services.Writes long-range planning documents.
- Evaluates and executes activities consistent with University and ITS strategic plans.
- Other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering or a related field or documented equivalent combination of training and experience and at least five years of progressive experience in telecommunications.
- Experience with voice technologies such as Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP), 5ESS telephone switch capabilities and services; voicemail services, Avaya and Cisco voice and networking products.
- Leadership skills in managing customer services staff, technical staff, and field operations activities.
- Proficiency with personal computers and applications to enhance skills in communications reporting and technical writing. Understanding of database and spreadsheet software.
- Experience with business continuity and disaster recovery planning.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with excellent attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills. Must possess a "service oriented" attitude. Demonstrated ability to work well with a diverse customer base and manage customer expectations.
- The ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Demonstrated commitment to maintaining state-of-the art technical knowledge.
- The ability to travel to regional campuses, training seminars and trade shows.
- The ability to work off hours and weekends when necessary.
- Experience with operation and decommissioning a 5ESS switch.
- Experience with the Pinnacle telecommunications management and billing application.
- Work experience at a research university.
- Certifications relevant to this position such as Cisco CCNA / CCNP Voice or Collaboration
- Experience with the administration and management of Cisco UCM in a virtualized environment.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership in project development and administration.
This is a full-time, permanent position. The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits including employee and dependent tuition reimbursement at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. Salary will be commensurate with successful candidates' background and experience. For additional information regarding benefits visit: http://hr.uconn.edu/benefits-summaries/. For additional information about the University visit: http://www.uconn.edu/ and for detailed position information and the job description visit: http://uitsjobs.uconn.edu.
Please apply online at www.jobs.uconn.edu, Staff Positions. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application and resume that demonstrate how you meet the minimum qualifications and any preferred qualifications you may have for this position, and a list of contact information, including phone numbers for three professional references. Reference search # 2019198. Screening will begin immediately.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search # 2019198)
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on December 10, 2018.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics, which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University's teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn's ranking as one of the nation's top research universities. UConn's faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.