Sr. Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Sr. Professional Research Assistant
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The University of Colorado, Department of Medicine, Division of Biomedical lnformatics and Personalized Medicine (BIPM) has an opening for a Senior Bioinformatics Analyst. Under the direction and guidance of the BIPM Division Head (DH), this full-time, benefits-eligible position exist to act as analyst within the research program of Dr. Kathleen Barnes, with an ultimate transition to the Translational Informatics & Computational Resource (TICR), which is part of the Colorado Center for Personalized Medicine (CCPM) as the need for expertise within TICR grows over time. The PIs research program is a multi-disciplinary program with emphasis on next Generation Sequencing technology to identify the genetic determinants of complex disease with particular attention to diseases with known health disparities. The person in this position will be primarily responsible for analytical aspects of the research process with the PIs group, including but not limited to the following: helping in the design of new studies, data cleaning and association testing, maintenance of current pipelines, development of new pipelines and preparation of abstracts, oral and poster presentations, scientific manuscripts and research grants. The TICR is an in-house, comprehensive biocomputing unit supporting a multidisciplinary robust computing resource to foster omics-based research using high dimensional data (e.g. genomics, transcriptomic, microbiomics, proteomics, metabolomics) and development and implementation of computational methods and tools for sequence analysis and systems biology approaches. The goal of the TICR is to support the mission of the CCPM: to promote the development of tools and knowledge in biomedical informatics with a goal of integrating these discoveries into routine health care. As the need for expertise within TICR grows, we anticipate a shared or full transition of this individual between the Pl's research program and TICR to facilitate the rapid expansion of TICR relying on pre-existing expertise within the PI's research program. The Senior Informatics analyst will then: I) provide consultation in study design, data analysis and interpretation of data generated by primary and secondary faculty members of BIPM: and 2) integrate data generated from the biobank and Health Data Compass.
Work is performed under the general direction, guidance and supervision of the Senior Bioinformatics Analyst and Manager.
Examples of Work Performed
- Use Unix and high performance computational resources to develop, refine and automate high throughput pipelines for processing large scale genomic and genetic datasets
- Management, analysis and interpretation of genomic and genetic datasets.
- Perform in silico protein sequence and structure analysis using protein modeling methods.
- Bioinformatics application development and creating data driven documents using R,Python or related tools for visualization and analysis of the genomic datasets.
- Act as a liaison between the PIs research program, TICR and UCD-OIT, and transition into building infrastructure within TICR as the need for NGS pipelines grows.
- Engage in collaborative research and publications.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The Informatics analyst should be exposed to a variety of bioinformatics methods and data types (e.g., analysis and workflow development for NextGeneration Sequencing [NGS) data such as Whole Genome Sequencing,RNAseq, micro biome (metagenomics data), and ChiPSeq data or clinicalinformatics), supporting both the research and clinical informatics needs of thedivision and the computational biology core. Other knowledge, skills andReceivedabilities include:
- Expertise in the use of informatics computing and data management packages;
- The ability to collaborate with other team members;
- Experience with R, PERL, Python, Java and MySQL:
- Application development using Rshiny/Python:
- Good understanding of the GATK pipeline:
- Experience with microarray genotype data (analysis and imputation);
- Experience in Next-Gen sequencing technology, tool usage and data analysis;
- Experience in working and analyzing SNP and CNV data.
- Experience with the quality control of microarray and sequencing data;
- Deep understanding of parallel computing and classic genomic algorithms such as sequence alignment, phasing and de-novo sequence assembly algorithms and statistics:
- Creative approach to problem solving and algorithm design: and
- Excellent verbal/written communication and presentation skills.
- Master's degree in relevant sciences (statistics or health sciences) or informatics (computational biology. computational chemistry bioinformatics, clinical informatics)
- Three (3) or more years of experience in one or more of these fields required.
- Expert knowledge of scientific principles and concepts in NGS analysis.
- Excellent teamwork and collaboration skills.
- Effective process and project management skills.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Independent, innovative, and creative thinker
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 14821
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21533 - SOM-MED-BIOMED
Posting Date: Sep 27, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Sandra Logue
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00723654