University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Nutrition
Position #754557 - CU Careers #14774
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The Department of Pediatrics, Section of Nutrition as part of the University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus has an opening for a full-time Postdoctoral Fellow. This position's primary responsibility will be to conduct research as part of a multi-PI nutrition and metabolomics project in humans. Although certain dietary patterns have clear health benefits or detriments, the biochemical and metabolic underpinnings linking diet with health effects are not clear. We are using a step-wise strategy whereby the mechanistic effects of individual foods and dietary components on health can be delineated using mass spectrometry-based metabolomics. In particular, the research focus for this position involves performing metabolomics and informatics, and bio-statistical analyses to examine linkages between laboratory data and clinically relevant outcomes. This position will be responsible for liaising between our joint efforts in metabolomics, human nutrition, and biostatistics/informatics. Specific duties will include performing mass spectrometry-based assays, performing data analysis, and assisting with design and conduction of clinical trials.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Conduct experiments and analyses supporting the "Foodomics" initiatives, which include mass spectrometry-based metabolomics and lipidomics assays, sample processing, and data analysis
- Analyze, interpret, compile, and record experimental results
- Collaborate with the principal investigators (PIs) and other research staff to review scientific literature, develop experimental protocols, and interpret results relating bioactive compounds identified in foods to physiologic outcomes associated with consumption of the foods and diets
- Actively participate in academic training and career development activities as relevant to the position/research including but not limited to weekly journal club and seminar series
- Provide oversight for Study Coordinator of clinical trial and assist in data collection and analysis
- Assist with writing sections of research proposal documents for grants purposes
- Lead and assist with the preparation of manuscripts for publication in scientific journals and the creation of future research protocols
- Attend and present study results at bi-monthly "Foodomics" meetings
- Complete general laboratory duties as assigned such as maintenance of lab records, general lab clean-up, and ordering lab supplies
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates may be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is based on NIH post-doctoral stipend levels. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation for questions, please contact Kaitlin Norris, [email protected]
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a conferred PhD and/or MD in biochemistry, chemistry, food science, human nutrition, or a closely related field
Condition of Employment:
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal background check
- Must be willing and able to occasionally work weekends and evenings as required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to complete basic science techniques such as pipetting, lab notebook upkeep, weighing and measuring, and preparing buffers and solvents
- Ability to effectively operate common lab equipment (centrifuges)
- Ability to complete mass spectrometry and to successfully design experiments
- Ability to effectively collect data and complete analyses
- Knowledge of human nutrition, analytical chemistry, and food science
- Ability to work independently within a research lab
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and ability to use basic statistical software such as GraphPad
- Strong technical research skills and reasoning ability
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- Ability to work with multiple PIs and manage time effectively while concurrently working on multiple projects
- Minimum 2 years' experience working with mass spectrometry, metabolomics, and/or small molecules
- Experience in nutritional science
- Experience conducting human/clinical research trials
Special Instructions to Applicants:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Questions should be directed to Carolyn Doyle at [email protected]
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 14774
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20876 - SOM-PEDS Nutrition-SalSvr
Posting Date: Sep 27, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Carolyn Doyle
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00754557