University Information Services (UIS) provides technical services and enterprise applications to the University of Colorado campuses and the Office of the President. UIS is committed to excellence in customer service and technical expertise. Through the development of enterprise applications, UIS supports the University as a whole with systems used by students, faculty, human resources employees, finance employees, and others.
The Project Manager reports into the UIS PMO Quality and Process Services Office. We strive to align our efforts toward industry standards in order to provide clarity and value to the services we provide. The nature of our work is collaborative with a strong focus on excellent communication both within and across groups as well as with the campuses.
This position's primary role will be to manage 3 to 4 assigned projects via UIS project processes and methods ensuring appropriate integration with the other projects in the overall UIS portfolio. While managing and supporting projects from conception to finish, this position will aid in resource management, overall portfolio and project process development, and continuous improvement initiatives. In addition, the position will serve as a mentor, when assigned, to UIS employees that are leading a project on their own, assisting them in understanding and moving through the project process. The end goal is to aid UIS in improved effectiveness and efficiency with both currently running and future slated projects. This position reports to the Director of PMO and is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff system.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provides project management experience including, but not limited to:
- Project plan development
- Requirements gathering
- Timeline creation and implementation
- Risk analysis with corresponding mitigation plans
- Communication plan development
- Monitoring and control of execution with correlating issue tracking and resolution.
- Facilitates coordination between customer expectations, project needs, and resource capacity.
- Accounts for meeting project objectives, managing the project, and ensuring appropriate communication is occurring to management or appropriate governance committees regarding progress, status, issues, and metrics.
- Assesses past, current, and upcoming tasks immediately addressing latency or issues with appropriate manager and director involvement.
- Ensures resource usage fits within the overall portfolio with weekly assessment to analyze and correct resource over allocation.
- Serves as a mentor/trainer to project leads aiding them in successful execution of project processes.
- Creates Project Proposal with review by Customer, and signoff by Sponsoring Director.
- Schedules & presents to Project Management Review Committee for approval to move onto Planning phase.
- Holds Kick off meeting with project team for planning phase.
- Defines roles, responsibilities, and stakeholders.
- Gathers requirements (with signoff by Customer), developing, assessing, and selecting proper strategy for the project (SDLC or other).
- Produces appropriate architecture designs and attributes identification with review by Design Review Team.
- Initializes risk register with beginning risk identification and mitigation.
- Creates communication plan reflecting audience, frequency, review by, and execution dates.
- Generates required forms and follows procurement process (DQ, RFP, PO, etc.).
- Creates timeline with predecessors, effort, resources, reflecting requirements, design, risk mitigation, communication, and other as identified by planning team. Review of timeline with both project team and customer.
- Oversees the final presentation to Project Management Review committee for approval to move into Execution phase
- Schedules, leads, and facilitates weekly meetings base lined against timeline and update Project Plan.
- Manages project plan and holds resources accountable for on-time task completion.
- Controls and monitors project scope within weekly status meeting with status report out per communication plan.
- Assesses resource usage weekly within timeline and ensure over allocations are corrected or Director attention is brought to resource assignment if larger portfolio issue exists (resource assigned to multiple projects at same time causing issue).
- Ensures communication plan is being followed with correct resource involvement as defined in the plan.
- Manages SLA updates as needed/discovered with SLA signoff.
- Oversees the reminder on documentation for service as implementation occurs.
- Schedules training for UIS Service Desk and others as needed for service roll out and go live.
- Decommissions services no longer needed post-project (old servers, databases, etc.).
- Solicits feedback from customers regarding Project lessons learned to understand if success criteria have been met (scope and requirements).
- Holds lessons learned sessions gathering feedback project team, and managers resulting in Lessons learned documentation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
To be successful in this position, candidates will need the following:
- Knowledge of Project Management policies and best practices.
- Ability to work independently and under pressure, to manage concurrent tasks and responsibilities, and to deal with changing priorities, while maintaining personal effectiveness.
- Ability to complete thorough and accurate research and appropriately apply to projects assigned.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, other University Personnel, and the public.
- Skilled in effective communication, collaboration, and problem-solving.
- Skilled in utilizing central project tools through various software.
- Ability to keep projects on projected timelines.
- Ability to hold stakeholders accountable for their required deliverables.
Who we are:
System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with an office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses. However, this position is located in Denver. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty.
The University of Colorado is committed to recruiting and supporting diversity and equality in education and employment. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans.
What we offer:
Salary: The salary range for this position is $80,000 - $90,000.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical: Multiple plan options
- Dental: Multiple plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and Wellness
- Retirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross pay
- Paid Time Off: Accruals over the year
- Vacation Days: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
- Tuition Benefit: System employees have the benefit on all campuses
- ECO Pass: RTD Bus and light rail service
- Additional Perks & Programs: Click here to access a few more Perks and Programs
Click here to access our Total Compensation Calculator to see what your total rewards could be at CU. This position is a University Staff position.
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education. A combination of education, technology training and industry certifications, and related experience may substitute for the degree on a year for year basis.
- PMP certification
- Five (5) years project management experience
- Three (3) years' experience utilizing central project tools with exposure to workflows, central templates, resource reports, and timeline functionality
- Resource capacity analysis and management
- Mentoring of other project managers
- PM process refinement and implementation
- Experience working in IT within Higher Education
Special Instructions to Applicants:For full consideration, completed applications must be received by Wednesday, October 10, 2018. Those who do not apply by October 10, 2018 may or may not be considered. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires a verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:You must attach a cover letter, resume, and list of references to your application as three separate documents. Please ensure you check the "Job Specific Attachments" box next the each document on the "Required Documents" page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached. For full consideration, please apply by October 10, 2018.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Denver
Department: S0001 -- System Administration - 50119 - University Information Systems
Posting Date: Sep 27, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Lauren Morain
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00001408