Dean of College of Engineering and Applied Science
The University of Colorado Colorado Springs (UCCS) is one of four campuses in the University of Colorado system and is home to over 10,500 undergraduate and 1,900 graduate students. UCCS is among the fastest growing universities in the state, is consistently ranked as one of the top Western regional universities by U.S. News & World Report and was most recently recognized as one of the "Great College to Work For" by The Chronicle of Higher Education.
As the state's second-largest community (metro population 700,000+), Colorado Springs boasts a high quality of life with outdoor recreation for every season and mountain views to match. With short commute times, moderate cost of living, great schools, and friendly neighbors, Colorado Springs consistently ranks as one of the best places to live. http://www.choosecoloradosprings.com/
The Dean of the College of Engineering and Applied Science is the chief academic and administrative officer of the College and reports to the Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. The Dean demonstrates strong leadership, management and development skills to support faculty in teaching, research, and service within the departments of Computer Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, and Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering. The Dean leads with a clear vision of excellence in engineering research and education and possesses excellent communication and interpersonal skills. The Dean will be able to promote and articulate the College's vision and mission within the College and the campus, and to external constituents in the public and private sector. The Dean must work collegially with fellow members of the Deans' Council and other senior university administrators to advance the mission of the University. The Dean must be a visionary leader in engineering education and research. He or she must demonstrate an ability to articulate and carry out The National Academy of Engineering's goal of "identifying and illuminating issues at the intersections of engineering, technology, and society that impact our quality of life." The successful candidate for dean should demonstrate an ability and/or competency in the duties and job expectations outlined below.
The Dean provides leadership to the College of Engineering and Applied Science by:
1. Establishing a shared vision of quality research and engineering education that is consistent with the mission and goals of the University and College as well as the broader objectives as articulated by the National Academy of Engineering.
2. Promoting and developing quality research and educational programs.
3. Planning and coordinating program reviews to acquire and maintain ABET accreditation.
4. Modeling a climate of student support to faculty and staff.
5. Establishing an environment of open communication in the College with all interactions carried out in a professional manner.
6. Enhancing a culture of diversity and community with faculty, staff, and students.
The Dean exercises effective administrative and management skills in the College of Engineering and Applied Science by:
1. Providing effective management of fiscal policies and procedures.
2. Making decisions in a clear, timely, and collegial manner in accord with the principles of shared governance.
3. Supervising faculty and staff personnel, overseeing faculty workload, and establishing equitable policies.
The Dean is responsible for development and fund-raising success in the College of Engineering and Applied Science by:
1. Creating and maintaining community, industry, and government partnerships that support College research and education programs
2. With the faculty, obtaining resources, support, and funding to sustain a research infrastructure and outstanding graduate programs.
3. Partnering with University Development to secure funding for scholarships, laboratory equipment, capital development and other college needs.
This position has been determined to be exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
Salary Range: $210,000.00 - $222,000.00
The University of Colorado, Colorado Springs offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history check.
• Possess an earned doctorate in computer science, one of the engineering disciplines in the College, or in a closely related field.
• Qualify to hold the rank of Professor in a department in the college by virtue of an outstanding record of teaching, research and service.
• Have demonstrated significant administrative leadership experience as a chair, an associate dean, dean or comparable position with responsibility for matters such as budgets, strategic planning, human resource management, performance reviews and promotion and tenure decisions.
• Demonstrated success in fundraising and obtaining research grants
• Currently hold the rank of professor (or have held such rank)
Special Instructions to Applicants:• Applications submitted by October 28, 2018 will receive full consideration. • Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered. Please apply at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. • Upon request, please be prepared to provide five professional references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information. • Official Transcripts will be required upon hire.
If you have technical difficulties with your application, please contact the CU Careers help desk at 303-860-4200 #5 or [email protected] Job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:In your cover letter, please address your experience as it relates to the specified responsibilities, job expectations, and qualifications for this position. The CV should not exceed 6 pages.
Job Category: Executive
Primary Location: Colorado Springs
Department: C0001 -- Colorado Springs Campus - 40018 - Vice Chancellor Academic Affrs
Posting Date: Sep 27, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Peter Braza
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00470101