IT Business Analyst
The CU Office of Advancement manages and coordinates administrative functions to support the campus-based fundraising field staff. These functions include communications, database management, estate gift planning, gift processing, marketing, research and other services. These centralized services place the institution in an optimal position to attract substantial support from the philanthropic sector.
This Business Analyst position provides IT planning and consultation for CU Advancement offices, working closely with Central, Foundation, and campus offices and service providers to analyze, recommend, and implement appropriate solutions. The Office of Advancement consist of the following departments: Alumni Relations, Corporate & Foundation Relations, Parent Giving, and Annual Giving. This position must understand the business needs and objectives of advancement activities to determine what IT services and applications functions can/should be deployed to facilitate meeting those needs and objectives. This position works closely with departmental and campus leadership, campus IT governance groups, and system-wide stakeholders, to determine what services are applicable to meeting business IT needs. The Business Analyst position also works within central Advancement, and collaboratively with central and Campus IT departments, to ensure the IT architecture and services, and overall university context are properly considered in any proposed IT solution.
The main focus for this position will be to understand the business processes and technology landscape of the Advancement Office and how to best utilize the functionality in those applications. The initial assignment of this position will be to work on a holistic project to redesign workflow and systems for the business of Advancement within CU.
This position is directly supervised by the Director of Technical Architecture. This position will exercise independent discretion and decision-making in determining how to meet goals set by the Director. This position does not have any formal supervisory responsibility, but may include peer development once the full project team is developed. The Business Analyst is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff system.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
35% - Perform functional analysis and requirements definition for specific business and IT solutions:
- Develop any necessary requirements and specifications possibly including process flow models, use cases or user stories, data models, and UML diagrams that fully communicate requirements and conditions of satisfaction.
- Perform and reconcile interviews across stakeholder groups (users, technical counterparts, vendors) to consolidate requirements and develop comprehensive user stories with recommended options.
- Perform analysis that considers the existing environment, the overall University business and technical environment, campus IT architecture, best practices from peer institutions and industry, and available technologies and services, then fully articulating and communicating solutions.
- Collaborate with subject matter experts to establish and maintain business cases, cost models, and budgets that support IT directions.
- Ensure projects continue to meet the established objectives and business needs within the established budgets through a continual service improvement methodology. This includes leading deployment testing, problem resolution efforts and managing relationships and service level performance of service providers - University and 3rd party vendors.
- Lead troubleshooting and support activities with customers.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
To be successful in this position, candidates will need the following:
- Knowledge of project management best practices
- Knowledge of IT data analysis
- Excellent judgement and decision-making abilities
- Ability to interpret and evaluate user requirements and produce and analyze data
- Ability to work with tight deadlines and manage frequent requests from all levels of Advance users each having their own timelines and constraints.
- Effective presentation skills to clearly articulate technical and business process-related concepts to groups and individuals with varying ranges of technical literacy.
- Skilled with effective communication strategies, outreach and interaction with constituents, strengthen business relationships with all Advancement staff, Alumni Relations colleagues, and business partners.
- Effective written and oral communication skills and interpersonal/customer-relations skills.
System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with an office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses. This position is located in Broomfield. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty.
What we offer:
Salary: The salary has been established at $65,000.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical: Multiple plan options
- Dental: Multiple plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and Wellness
- Retirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross pay
- Paid Time Off: Accruals over the year
- Vacation Days: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
- Tuition Benefit: System employees have the benefit on all campuses
- ECO Pass: RTD Bus and light rail service
- Additional Perks & Programs: Click here to access a few more Perks and Programs
Click here to access our Total Compensation Calculator to see what your total rewards could be at CU. This position is a University Staff position.
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution of higher education or equivalent professional experience. (The educational requirement may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.)
- Three (3) years' of IT Business Analysis experience that includes:
- Development of high level strategy, business cases, process mapping, formal requirements specifications, design of complex systems with a demonstrated ability to translate them into solutions.
- Experience working in highly complex policy and organizational environments.
- Strong analytical experience in developing, testing, implementing, maintaining, and upgrading complex application systems.
- Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP, CCBA).
- Higher Education experience
- Experience with Salesforce or Advance Application
- Experience in engagement, marketing or communication
- Experience with fundraising organizations and business processes
Special Instructions to Applicants:For full consideration completed applications must be submitted by October 4, 2018. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires a verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:You must attach a cover letter, resume, and references to your application as three separate documents. Please identify the job specific minimum qualifications you possess in your cover letter. Also, ensure you check the "Job Specific Attachments" box next to each document on the "Required Documents" page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Denver
Department: S0001 -- System Administration - 50206 - Advancement Operations
Posting Date: Sep 27, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Joshua Brumley
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00755058