Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
Nature of Work:
This is a 100% FTE for a clinical data collector position with the Colorado center of the multi-centered NIH-funded prospective cohort study "The Environmental Determinants of Diabetes in the Young" (TEDDY) and local NIH-funded cohort study "Diabetes Autoimmunity Study in the Young" (DAISY). The studies are designed to follow children with an increased risk for developing type 1 (childhood) diabetes to identify environmental triggers for the development of the disease. Participation in TEDDY requires multiple detailed data collection visits with the hope of following the established cohort for 15 years. The position will also be responsible for performing similar activities on a different data collection protocol for the 26-year NIH-funded DAISY study.
This position will be part of the clinic working group of a large research team which collects extensive clinical data and conduct ongoing case management/follow-up of the identified high risk cohort. It is a critical contact and information source for families participating in the protocol.
This position reports directly Dr. Marian Rewers, MD, PhD, Professor and Executive Director, BDC and Judith Baxter, MA Associate Clinical Professor. The supervision of this position is by Patricia Gesualdo, RN, MSPH, Instructor. This supervision will include study specific training and oversight for the position's responsibilities.
This position does not have a formal supervisory role. This position is expected to oversee and manage the coordination of a unique cohort in TEDDY who participate in the study remotely.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implements the study research clinical data collection protocols, including phlebotomy, physical assessment, and interviews with children and their parents. Assists with retention related tasks as assigned.
- Works as part of a team utilizing strong organizational and communication skills. Must be team-oriented, flexible and self-motivated.
- Works with lab and clinical staff to coordinate a cohort of TEDDY children who participate in the study from outside of the Metro Denver area. This includes scheduling participants and serving as a key study contact between the family and the remote lab, conducting interviews and ensuring the visits are completed in the designated time frame.
- Tracks participants utilizing a web-based local database and a study-wide database.
- Participates in local and central research protocol training sessions (includes travel) as required.
- Bachelors of Arts or Sciences degree required or 4 years of work experience in medical setting can be substituted for the bachelor's requirement on a year per year basis.
- Familiarity and working knowledge of Microsoft office, particularly Word and Excel
- If no phlebotomy experience, a willingness to be trained by supervising clinicians.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to think creatively and work independently.
Highly Desired Qualifications:
- Experience with pediatric populations
- Phlebotomy experience strongly desired
- Fluency in Spanish reading, writing and speaking preferred
- This position works Monday-Friday hours with at least one evening/week and one Saturday/month.
- Will need to have reliable transportation in order to travel to an off-site clinic as least 1x/month.
- All listed under Duties and Responsibilities
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 14814
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20061 - SOM-Barbara Davis Center
Posting Date: Sep 27, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Talisha Bell
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00754879