Program Manager (I2CNER) - Mechanical Science and Engineering (104282)
Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering
International Institute for Carbon-Neutral Energy Research (I2CNER)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The International Institute for Carbon-Neutral Energy Research (I2CNER) with the Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Program Manager. This position assists the Center Director in the planning, organizing, coordinating and execution of various programmatic functions of the Institute.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership for the Center's day-to-day business, financial and administrative operations, ensuring the center's missions in research, education, outreach, and other functional areas are met. This includes coordinating center operations between the Kyushu University Administrative Office, the UIUC and other sub awardee/satellite locations, and with center faculty, current and potential industrial affiliates, educational outreach contacts, and other constituents of the center.
- Compose and coordinate technical correspondence on the Director's behalf including various committee and site visit notes, conference publications, Japanese Society for Promotional of Science (JSPS) reports, and other technical communications. Coordinate the compilation of the annual World Premier International (WPI) Research Center Initiative report, including collection of all necessary data from faculty and staff at UIUC, satellite, and partner institutions. Ensure the annual report is completed timely.
- In cooperation with the Center's Grant Coordinator, provide information and consultation services to the center's faculty, staff and students regarding MEXT, federal, State of Illinois, University, campus, and departmental procedures for purchasing goods, services, travel and other expense reimbursement items. Review sponsored project expenditures ensuring integrity, accuracy and allowability of transactions in accordance with all applicable policies and procedures at the MEXT, Federal, State, University and departmental levels. Review and interpret changes in applicable rules and regulations and recommend and develop policies and procedures to ensure continued compliance, as well as the efficiency and effectiveness of operations. Oversee the Center's procurement and payable operations to ensure compliance with applicable regulations, policies and procedures, ensuring timely and efficient ordering and reimbursement processing.
- Assist center director(s), support staff, and investigators with the management of research projects, accounts, including assisting with budgets, forecasting, advising on expenditure allowability, and personnel budgets, ensuring they are in accordance with the center's budget. Coordinate processing of all center appointments with the MechSE human resources staff.
- Oversee the annual MEXT/Kyushu audits and site visits acting as a liaison between the Center Director and various OBFS and other campus offices, and coordinate with support staff to help ensure all associated arrangements are made in a cost effective and timely manner.
- In cooperation with the MechSE Communications Office, assist in coordination of Center publications, marketing materials, and other communications.
- Coordinate logistical arrangements for execution of all Center site visits, retreats, seminars, and conferences, working with other MechSE support staff as necessary.
- Monitor and analyze Center work processes and procedures to develop more efficient and effective procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of customer service.
- Assume additional appropriate related duties to further the mission of the Institute.
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering, engineering mechanics, communication, business administration or related field.
- One (1) year experience in a business or administrative operations position.
- Previous experience in a federally or internationally funded research center or previous experience in a University of Illinois research center in an administrative role.
- Previous experience writing, proofreading, editing of technical reports and other documents.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Strong interpersonal communications skills, both written and spoken.
- Ability to organize and manage highly detailed deadline driven activities.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of University guidelines and procedures.
- Knowledge and an understanding of University, College, and Departmental organizational goals and objectives.
This is a full-time Civil Service Program Coordinator position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after December 10, 2018. Salary is commensurate with experience.
To apply for this position, please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume (months and years of employment must be included), and academic credentials (unofficial transcripts or diploma may be acceptable) by December 10, 2018. An online application will require names and contact information including email addresses for three references. In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for the position. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact John Wierschem at 217-333-6741 or [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Title: Program Manager (I2CNER) - Mechanical Science and Engineering (104282)
Open Date: 11/26/2018
Close Date: 12/10/2018
Organization Name: Mechanical Sci and Engineering