Director, Strategic Communication & Change Management
Job Description Summary:
I. JOB OVERVIEW
The Division of Information Technology (it.gwu.edu) is the chief provider of technology infrastructure, services and applications at GW. The Division partners with stakeholders across GW to equip students, staff and faculty with the technology know-how and tools necessary to achieve academic excellence. Reporting to the Chief Information Officer, the Dir., Strategic Communication & Change Management works primarily within the Division of IT.
The Dir., Strategic Communication & Change Management serves as the primary advisor to senior leadership on strategic communications, outreach and training development that supports the promotion and communication of our capabilities and invites strategic partnerships. This incorporates providing internal communications and training strategies for organizational change management during periods of digital and business transformation as well as external engagement to elevate the visibility and perspective of GW as a strong regional, national and international collaborator and innovator in higher education. This position will lead a team of communications and training professionals that develop and deliver comprehensive communication strategies to engage and support the value of IT services, support the creation of print and digital collateral, and support senior leadership in communication strategies and presentation material that deliver a more robust and engaging experience for our constituents.
Additional responsibilities include:
• Develop annual communication plans for the Division, including but not limited to developing a robust digital strategy (i.e. newsletters, social feeds, annual updates, external value reports, infographics, etc.), budget development, bench-marking and assessment of practices and tools that are utilized to provide effective communication throughout the Division and the University.
• Serve as Editor for DIT's quarterly publication, techKNOW
• Help produce effective external communications for collaborative efforts with Development and in support of our corporate engagements that help build stronger partnerships; this includes participation in hosting events and workshops or those co-sponsored by the Division.
• Identifies public relations opportunities that elevate the Division's profile, particularly as it relates to service initiatives and endeavors that foster the Division's goals.
• Advise DIT Senior Leadership on best practices in communication and collaborated with students, faculty and staff, while maintaining effective protocols.
• Maintain a curated set of print and digital collateral for use in presentations and for access when producing new communications.
• Serves as regular member of the DIT Crisis Management team and assures appropriate communications templates, methods, and operations as needed and required.
• Manage the design, development and facilitation of technical training.
• Engage with stakeholders to assess training gaps, organizational development needs for training and staff development to enhance the effectiveness of employee performance in achieving the goals and objectives of the Division.
• Responsible for issuing and managing customer and partner feedback, as well as officially representing the Division in responses to external feedback and survey requests.
• Identifies and assesses awareness and training needs of our constituents as it relates to the products and services we support and emerging innovations and policies; develop strategies and facilitate the delivery of these to meet the needs of our constituents.
• Working with Human Resources and other University resources; utilize organizational change management methodology and apply as appropriate for the business environment, adjusting as needed to ensure focus is on staff training and communication. Serve as an advisor for Senior Leadership with developing a change management approach based on a situational awareness of the change and the groups being impacted
• Convenes and facilitates focus groups to harvest usable feedback for current and future product positioning and enhancements.
• Partners with Human Resources, external consultants and content providers and other learning experts to develop plans with the leaders of teams around how to prepare our workforce for helping transform our capabilities and model for delivering value to GW.
• Identify potential people-side risks, points of resistance, performance gaps, and develop specific corrective action plans to mitigate the risks
• Deploy a set of actionable and targeted change management plans-including a communication plan, coaching plan, training plan, and a resistance management plan
The Director will lead a team which includes hiring and supervising direct reports while managing their performance in effectively providing strategic communications, supporting organizational change, and ensuring learning resources are aligned to help both our constituents and staff. The Director will stay engaged and effective in delivering to the University's mission.
Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
The position is based at GW's Virginia Science & Technology campus in Ashburn, VA but will require travel to the Foggy Bottom campus located in Washington, DC. The incumbent may perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.Minimum Qualifications:
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 8 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Master's degree or higher in a relevant area of study plus 6 years of relevant professional experience. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills including superior presentation skills for all levels of the organization (Sr. Executive to operational)
- Experience tailoring communications to engage non-technical audiences to convey complex topics in terms of business value.
- Experience and expertise in marketing, media relations, public affairs, crisis communications, issues management, social media and public relations
- Problem solver with strong interpersonal and business relationship skills and ability to influence people at all levels within the organization;
- Ability to collaborate with directors, managers, business area subject matter experts, consultants, and a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Achieves organizational results by encouraging the contribution of others; a positive team player who acts with a sense of urgency and leads by example; sets and communicates clear goals.
- Strong facilitator with ability to collaborate and engage with senior leadership, senior technologists and business stakeholders to ensure effective communications, outreach and alignment professional development resources.
- Experience delivering in large, complex IT environments, including support for projects, programs and external collaborations.
- Possesses strong relationship and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build relationships, develop/maintain partnerships, and obtain stakeholder agreement.
- Experience fostering long-term learning and development of others through coaching, managing performance and mentoring; has a genuine desire to develop others and help them succeed; both formally and informally recognizes deserving staff and colleagues.
- Experience with event/conference management in Information Technology, Higher Education, or research fields.
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Ashburn, Virginia College/School/Department: Division of IT Family Comm, Mktg & Media Sub-Family Communications and Public Relations Stream Management Level Level 3 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday-Friday (TBD) Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa statusInternal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S007615 Job Open Date: 09/14/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Does the professional experience section of your resume include months?
- * What is your expected salary range?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter