Survey Lab Research Specialist, SSD Survey Lab
Hyde Park Campus
2330095 SSD Survey Lab
About the Unit
Consistently ranked among the top ten social science research universities in the world, the Division of Social Sciences is at the vanguard of inquiry and impact. Whether through the field-defining scholarship of the Chicago Schools in Sociology and Economics, the path-breaking impact of the first graduate international affairs program in the U.S., the creation of interdisciplinary programs in the Department of Comparative Human Development and the John U. Nef Committee on Social Thought, or many other pivotal milestones, the Division has repeatedly transformed the social sciences since its founding in 1930. The Division offers PhD degrees in nine disciplines and Master of Arts degrees in five interdisciplinary fields. The Division also offers a number of joint degrees, and these collaborative initiatives uniquely position the Division to pioneer creative modes of thinking about society's most complex issues.
Oversees data collection and case management for surveys in the Survey Lab call center. Manages data entry of survey data, oversees staff and data for projects run from the central office, including programming of questionnaires, sample and data quality management, on-going project progress reports and interviewer training.
- Manages all aspects of survey operations including receipt control, respondent recruitment, and locator file management
- Produces final data files and codebooks for clients; learns and enforces best practice rules and protocols for each study
- Designs and creates regular production reports for ongoing studies.
- Manages the efficiency of call center operations and quality control.
- Brings any Institutional Review Board (IRB) issues to the immediate attention of the Director
- Programs surveys using Sawtooth and Qualtrics software
- Serves as back-up caller/interviewer to cover scheduled interviews or call-ins when other staff is not available
- Handles incoming requests or complaints from survey participants; handles difficult respondents
- Models good phone call technique for other phone shop callers
- Manages call center when required during evenings and weekends
- Creates training materials and manuals for projects and conducts training of staff
- Ability to train and manage a wide range of students and community members with varying time schedules and levels of ability required
- Good communication skills for interacting with the general public, with clients, and with specialized survey populations required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
- Ability to assert authority with respect to research and ethical protocols while still maintaining a collegial atmosphere required
- Ability to organize time and tasks to meet project deadlines required
- Attention to detail and ability to scan datasets, sample lists, and data output for errors required
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of respondent identity and of data required
- Willingness and ability to learn new software programs required
- Multiple concurrent tasks, constant interruptions, team work required
- Interest in a career in social science research required
- Sedentary work in front of a computer screen for much of the day required
- Willingness and ability to work a non-traditional schedule required
- Ability to travel required
Education, Experience, or Certifications:
- Bachelor's degree in a field relevant to the research being conducted required
- Advanced degree in the social sciences strongly preferred
- A minimum of two years of relevant research or project management experience required
- Training in survey research methods preferred
- Experience with SPSS preferred
Technical Knowledge or Skills:
- Proficient in Microsoft office required.
- Experience with some statistical package (such as SPSS, Stata, R, or SAS) required.
- Experience with some version of survey software (such as Sawtooth WinCATI, Cases, etc) preferred.
- Cover Letter
- Reference Contact Information
NOTE: When applying, all required document MUST be uploaded under the Resume/CV section of the application
Depends on Qualifications
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job is Exempt?
Drug Test Required?
Does this position require incumbent to operate a vehicle on the job?
Health Screen Required?
Remove from Posting On or Before
The University of Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Disabled/Veterans Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the University's Notice of Nondiscrimination.
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via Applicant Inquiry Form.
The University of Chicago's Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: http://securityreport.uchicago.edu. Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
The University of Chicago is an urban research university that has driven new ways of thinking since 1890. Our commitment to free and open inquiry draws inspired scholars to our global campuses, where ideas are born that challenge and change the world.
We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of original ideas. Students in the College develop critical, analytic, and writing skills in our rigorous, interdisciplinary core curriculum. Through graduate programs, students test their ideas with UChicago scholars, and become the next generation of leaders in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government.
To learn more about the university click here http://www.uchicago.edu/