Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) Part-Time Instructors
Open date: September 26th, 2018
Next review date: October 10th, 2018
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: August 3rd, 2019
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
This is pool recruitment for online teaching positions that may become available in the TESOL program. We are seeking qualified instructors with current knowledge and work experience in this industry who can create an interactive and engaging learning environment for students.
For more detailed information about our various education programs, please visit https://ce.uci.edu/areas.
Course topics include:
• Theories of TESOL
• Methods of TESOL
• Teaching Listening and Speaking Skills
• Teaching Reading and Vocabulary Skills
• Teaching English Grammar
• Teaching Writing and Vocabulary Skills
• Teaching Practicum
• Teaching in Adult Education Program
• Teaching English Internationally
• The role of Culture in Language Teaching
Classes are taught in an online instructor-led format.
Specific Instructor Duties
• Develop and/or update course syllabi in consultation with the UCI Division of Continuing Education Program Representative as assigned and using approved syllabus template
• Prepare and deliver course materials and learning assessments in the online format
• Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline the grading policies for the course
• Utilize the Canvas Learning Management System as the course support platform
• Evaluate student achievement of specific learning outcomes, and assign grades
• Post final student grades by set deadlines
• Handle student inquiries about final grades and consult with Director as needed
• Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner
• Stay current regarding the professional body of knowledge in the field of practice
• Participate in required orientations and complete mandatory training programs by deadlines established by UC Irvine
• Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner including: completing all hiring paperwork; submitting updated syllabus; submitting course handouts; signing instructor contract; submitting required textbook orders; communicating AV and classroom needs
• Employ culturally competent teaching methodologies in the classroom inclusive of international student populations
• Use subject-matter expertise and leverage additional resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum (i.e.: make arrangements for guest speakers, use synchronous/live sessions for office hours, etc.)
• Design interactive and motivational classroom activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning
• Update materials periodically, and regularly monitor course evaluations in order to make adjustments and improvements to the curriculum
To apply for this position, please click this link:
Individuals hired to teach these courses must understand that all such agreements with the University are made on a course-by-course basis and that the Instructor will be made no guarantee of continual involvement with the University in any capacity.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Job location Online
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter
- 3 required (contact information only)
HOW TO APPLY
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information
Get started: press Apply Now