Commitment to Mission:
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- Students Matter
- Inspire Excellence
- Act Intentionally
- Better Together
- No Fear!
The Chronicle of Higher Education's "Great Colleges to Work For" is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance .
Campus Marketing Statement:
Lone Star College-System Office, University Park
Lone Star College, located in the north metropolitan Houston area, is one of the largest and fastest growing community colleges in the country featuring six comprehensive colleges and 10 centers with over 95,000 credit and non-credit students each semester, an annual budget exceeding $500,000,000, and 7,300 employees spread over a 2100 square mile area.
LSC adds $3.1 billion to the local and regional economy by providing educational opportunities across the north Houston region.
Lone Star College-System Office employees are based at one of two System Office locations; The Woodlands and University Park. Both are the site for multiple administrative departments and system-wide training programs.
This position is located at the LSC-System Office, University Park location at 20515 SH 249 (SH 249 and Louetta Road) Houston, Texas 77070-2607.
The Captionist captions/transcribes in-class lecture and discussions, as well as a variety of other speaking situations, which will be displayed during class using a real-time speech-to-text. Captionists support and promote all students' right to communication equity in the classroom.
- Provides captioning services for faculty and students in the campus and classroom setting, as well as in a variety of speaking situations for students, staff, faculty, and administration at various college functions and events throughout the year, both on-campus and off-campus
- Communicates with and gathers information from faculty in order to effectively prepare for classroom sessions for both faculty and students
- Rapidly sets up and breaks down captioning equipment and regularly relocates equipment to different assignment locations as needed
- Ethically models positive and inclusive employee behavior
- Attends and actively participates in department meetings and activities
- Performs administrative and support duties within the Disability Services Office, as needed. Duties may include, but are not limited to, assisting with scheduling and billing, responding to general inquiries, maintaining and filing documents, records and materials, distributing, and collecting and analyzing student and instructor surveys
- Continuously reviews current processes and procedures, and shares challenges and improvement ideas with supervisor and team
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability and willingness to accept captioning assignments at a variety of times and locations within the LSC service area, as needed, which may include some evenings and weekends
- Ability to listen to and rapidly understand spoken English, and the ability to restate rapidly in correctly formed English sentence, the full meaning of what is heard in classes and meetings
- Excellent knowledge of English grammar, spelling and academic vocabulary
- Excellent typing skills (65 wpm net)
- Ability to effectively use captioning equipment (TypeWell or CART)
- Good written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
- Working knowledge of deafness, deaf culture and the deaf community
- Strong memory-recall ability and excellent reading skills
Work Schedule & Conditions:
- Equipment used also includes general captioning equipment (TypeWell or CART)
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- Schedule assignment location varies with student and department needs. May require evenings and weekends as needed
Please go to your profile page. To add a file, select the "attachments" tab. Click on the "add" tab. Click "Browse" and select the file you want to attach. Then click "attach." It will redirect you back to the general profile page. Repeat steps to add additional documents.
Tips: You can only attach a maximum of five (5) files no larger than 2MB (2047 bytes) each. The total file capacity is 10MB. If your individual file exceeds the file limit, you will receive an error message. The search tool recruiter's use for candidates will not be able to analyze the content of some attached files, mostly image files, and compressed files (zip). The recommended file attachments are word or pdf files.
Please include the requisition number and your name in the title of your file. You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
Duration of Job Posting:
Position posted until filled
- Associate's degree and at least 3 years of related work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- TypeWell or CART training
- Valid Driver's License and reliable mode of transportation to travel between assignments within the LSC Service Area
- At least one year of captioning experience in a post-secondary education environment
Benefits Marketing Statement:
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver , participation in the TIAA-CREF retirement plan and more.
How to Apply:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY!
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.
Primary Location: US-Texas-Houston
Work Locations: 20515 SH 249 (SH 249 and Louetta Rd) (0801) , 20515 SH 249 , Houston , 77070
Job: Student Services
Organization: System Office - 00
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Required Documents: Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Job Posting: Sep 26, 2018, 5:45:10 PM