Learning and Technology Services: Data Warehouse Reporting Administrator
Job ID 14796
Location UW Eau Claire;Eau Claire, WI
Full/Part Time Full-Time
POSITION: A full-time, professional academic staff position is available in Learning & Technology Services – Enterprise Software Systems (ESS) subunit, beginning: November 1, 2018. The working title for this assignment is Data Warehouse Reporting Administrator with an official title in the Systems Programmer title series. This is a renewable assignment position. The salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
This position functions under direction of the Enterprise Software Systems Manager supporting the Data Warehouse Reporting environment. The campus uses Oracle Business Intelligence software (also known as Oracle BI or OBIEE) for reports/analysis that provide business-critical information to campus stakeholders.
This position is responsible for repository/modeling changes in the software to support the needs of the report writers in accessing data warehouse data. Local development environments are used for testing these repository/modeling changes which when then are moved to the UW System dev, test, and production environments by coordinating with UW System staff members. This position assists campus report writers with analysis/design/development on the UW System environments and does development when necessary.
This position represents the University of Wisconsin–Eau Claire for the UW System Business Intelligence (UWBI) Team. Responsibilities include interactions outside of campus with staff at UW System, along with other UW campuses; third-party vendors, and professional organizations.
- A bachelor’s or associates degree in a technical discipline; OR the equivalent combination of education, technical training, or work experience.
- Advanced skills writing complex SQL statements
- Working knowledge of database management systems (such as Oracle, SQL Server)
- Strong analytical skills with ability to design a technical solution
- Working knowledge of a reporting tool (such as Oracle BI, Power BI, etc.)
- Ability to work independently as well as in a group
- Ability to occasionally work irregular off-hours for system updates or issues
- Advanced troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to coordinate and collaborate with diverse personalities and cultures
50% A. Data Warehouse Reporting Administration
- Administration of the Oracle BI repository on local dev environments - testing modeling updates and/or data warehouse table changes
- Assist ESS team members with testing and validating software/database updates on local dev environments
- Communicate security updates for UW System environments with the UW System UWBI administrator
- Coordinate administrative updates to the UW System dev, test, and production environments with the UW System merge manager
- Reviewing the data warehouse build process (Informatica ETL - Extract-Transform-Load) for errors and any restarts (coordinating review coverage with other team members when necessary)
- Publish reports on the UW-System Business Intelligence (UWBI) Reporting Workspace
- Consult with other LTS staff regarding issues that arise from installation/upgrades of hardware, operating systems, networking, databases, firewalls, as well as any other technical aspects of the data warehouse.
40% B. Data Warehouse Reporting Support
- Work with report writers to utilize system provided online training and provide individual training assistance where necessary
- Assist functional-area writers with analysis/design/development of reports/dashboards when necessary, and also provide some report development when needed
- Evaluate self-written reports for accuracy and all complex reports for efficiency (reviewing/tuning SQL statements and/or indexes)
5% C. System-Wide Technical Leadership
- Act as the primary person to report data warehouse problems to UW-SYSTEM and notify users.
- Understand the database design, objects, and security roles of UW-System software, such as HRS EPM and WISDM.
- Work with other data warehouse administrators in UW System to share knowledge, code and resources as appropriate.
5% D. Professional Development/Projects
- Enhance knowledge/skills through self-study and attending appropriate events as technology evolves.
- Stay current with evolving trends for data warehouse and business intelligence systems.
- Carry out special assignments in response to the needs of the department.
THE UNIT: The unit of Learning & Technology Services consists of 54 staff members in the subunits of Enterprise Software Systems, Technical Support Services, Client Support Services, Continuous Improvement Services and the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning.
UNIVERSITY and EAU CLAIRE COMMUNITY: UW-Eau Claire, an institution of approximately 11,500 students and 1,400 faculty and staff, is consistently recognized as a top comprehensive university in the Midwest and is widely known as a leader in faculty-undergraduate research and study abroad. We strive for excellence in liberal education and select graduate and professional programs through commitment to teaching and learning and dedication to our core values of diversity, sustainability, leadership, and innovation.
The City of Eau Claire, situated at the confluence of the Chippewa and Eau Claire rivers, is at the center of a metropolitan area of approximately 100,000 people located 90 miles east of Minneapolis/St. Paul. The area features beautiful parks and trails, strong public schools, a vibrant arts scene and local food culture, and abundant recreational opportunities.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Applications are submitted electronically. Please follow instructions found on the following UW-Eau Claire Web site: http://www.uwec.edu/Employment/uweccareers.htm. You must create an account and login before you can apply. If you have not yet registered, click on the "Click here to Register" link to begin the registration process. If you are already a registered user, input your "User Name" and "Password" and select "Login." Click the link to the Learning and Technology Services: Data Warehouse Reporting Administrator position (Job ID # ____) and then click the "Apply Now" button to submit your application electronically. Your application will not be considered complete until all required documents are attached and all required fields are completed. Please be sure you have included the following in PDF format:
- Letter of application
- Names and contact information for three references.
NOTE: Answer to ‘Eligible to Work in the U.S.?’ is mandatory. UW-Eau Claire does not sponsor work authorization for this type of job (only for faculty positions).
Please direct requests for additional information to: Sally Eckwright; [email protected]
To ensure consideration, completed applications must be received byOctober 19, 2018. However, screening may continue until position is filled. The university reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process. A criminal background check is required prior to employment.
The UW-Eau Claire Police Department is dedicated to maintaining a safe and secure environment for learning and working. Although crime at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire is limited, the University Police want students, faculty and staff to be aware of crime on campus and the area surrounding the campus. The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act is a federal law that requires colleges and universities to disclose annual information about campus crime. Visit Campus Security and Fire Report (https://www.uwec.edu/human-resources/employment-opportunities/job-openings/upload/AnnualSecurityandFireReport-2.pdf) . Also visit our Campus Security Authority policy (https://www.uwec.edu/human-resources/employment-opportunities/job-openings/upload/CleryCompliancePolicy.pdf)
UW-Eau Claire is an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disability employer dedicated to enhancing diversity, equity, and inclusion.