Associate Director of Energy, Utilities, & Sustainability
Job ID: 24761
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3312
Department: Maintenance & Operations
Classification: Administrator II
Salary Range: $3,726/month - $12,767/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Exercise senior level management for the operations and maintenance of the universitys Central Energy Plant and Utility Infrastructure which is comprised of the cogeneration unit, large capacity central plant chillers, thermal energy storage system, auxiliary boiler plant and high voltage substation and medium voltage switchgear and electrical distribution infrastructure at 33 building substations. Also included is the steam, condensate and distributed chilled water pumping systems, up to and including the interface to the connections in the campus buildings.
This position works closely with department managers, coordinating trades maintenance and repairs and promoting the use of centralized maintenance management systems. The Associate Director serves as the primary contact for troubleshooting and correcting issues related to campus district utility infrastructure. The position is also responsible for operations, set-up and support of energy information systems and archiving data from the campus energy and electronic control systems.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Set priorities for and manage Chief Operating Engineer scheduling staff and overseeing the day to day operation of the Central Plant on a 24/7/365 basis.
- Set priorities for and manage operations and maintenance of campus district utility systems.
- Set priorities for and manage HVAC staff including, grade II water specialist, low voltage electricians, sustainability staff, commissioning agent, and operating engineers.
- Set direction and manage the operation and maintenance of the CEMCS network systems located within the plant and campus buildings.
- Oversee and provide direction to Chief Plant Engineer in the operation and maintenance of the central utility CEMCS, SCADA and DCS systems located in the plant and in the campus buildings.
- Provide Load Shed and Demand Response systems management, including timely communications to the campus community. Guide CEMCS architecture development, repairs and improvements with the goal of the campus having a viable central control center for CEMCS activities.
- Interact with architects and engineers on design and construction of new and renovated facilities that interconnect to existing infrastructure and systems. Interact with contractors and outside utility service providers to install the systems.
- Will have a 24 hour/7 day a week operational responsibility.
- Directly supervises employees.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees.
Education and Experience
- Four-year college engineering degree in electrical or mechanical engineering.
- Ten years minimum experience in utilities operations and management, with at least five years of progressive experience operating a cogeneration plant, boilers, and chillers.
- Must show high degree of proficiency in central plant operations, mechanical systems, electrical systems, electronic circuitry, energy management, and equipment associated with utility distribution.
- Experience writing construction specifications desired. Personnel management experience is essential.
- Licensed Engineer
- 7 years of Power Plant and Utility Infrastructure Experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to write control programs, use calculator, use and read meters, gauges, recording devices, operate Central Energy Management and Control System.
- Ability to resolves personnel problems.
- Ability to lead and motivate staff.
- Ability to trouble shoot complex energy and water systems problems.
- Ability to obtain certification as needed for changing regulations for cogeneration plant operation.
- Thorough knowledge of local permitting requirements and EPA regulations as related to emissions and operations of plant.
- Ability to interpret technical procedures or regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, rations, and proportions.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions and to interpret and extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with multiple abstract and concrete variables.
- Excellent oral and communication skills.
September 25, 2018
Application Screening begins October 10, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046