Simulation Medical Director
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Simulation Medical Director
The Department of Emergency Medicine is currently recruiting a full-time emergency physician to serve as Medical Director for the WELLS Center. The Medical Director serves to recruit and consult on new simulation-based instructional initiatives for the WELLS Center. He or she is tasked with bringing in new clients, both internal and external, for simulation-based programming and events. The Medical Director liaisons with health professionals and executives throughout the University of Colorado Health system and University of Colorado health professions programs, introducing educators, quality, process improvement, and service excellence professionals to the use of simulation to propel their respective agendas forward. He or she serves to represent the WELLS Center via their academic work product and speaking engagements on a local, regional, and national level.
The Medical Director is closely involved in consulting and mentoring new programming as it takes form, such that it appropriately emphasizes:
- Interprofessional and Interdisciplinary Training
- • Team Training / Crisis Resource Management Training: The WELLS team currently includes Master Trainers in AHRQ TeamSTEPPS training who include these principles in event debriefs.
- • Evidence-based Medical Training: The Medical Director ensures clinical training events are based upon up-to-date medical literature and hospital approved protocols.
- • Strong Curricular Foundation: The Medical Director's expertise in simulation and medical education ‘best practice' ensure new educational events are grounded upon relevant educational theory and proven instructional techniques.
- • Quality and Process improvement / Operational Readiness: The Medical Director consults on projects focused on implementing new processes or systems, identifying latent safety threats, troubleshooting the engagement of patients and providers in new spaces, and in conducting simulations to determine root cause analysis for identified quality issues.
- • Human Factors Research: The Medical Director may have interest/experience in examining how clinicians and teams interface with medical technologies, with the aim of assisting in the arrival of technologies to the bedside that are in the best interests of the institution (functionally and financially). Consulting opportunities in this area may arise.
- Scholarship and Research: The Medical Director should be able to support the execution of sound quantitative and or qualitative research utilizing simulation-based approaches.
Applications are accepted electronically ONLY, refer to requisition 03115.
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
The successful candidate will have completed an emergency medicine residency and be board certified or eligible by the American Board of Emergency Medicine. Experience in simulation-based education and training.
Completion of a four-year ABEM accredited residency in Emergency Medicine and a track record of clinical productivity, preferably with clinical shifts which have included direct supervision Emergency Medicine residents at a level I or Level II Trauma Center or tertiary care hospital.
Required Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The successful candidate will have demonstrated potential for outstanding clinical performance.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID:
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20353 - SOM-Emergency Medicine
Posting Date: Mar 29, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Frances Schulz
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00615392