Working Title: Lifeguard Instructor
Position Type: Hourly Wage
Department: Department of Intramural-Recreational Sports
Posting Date: 09-24-2018
The Department of Intramural-Recreational Sports, a division of Athletics at the University of Virginia, is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Lifeguard Instructor (part-time, wage position). Lifeguard Instructors work at both the Aquatic & Fitness and North Grounds Recreation Center aquatics facilities.
This position is responsible for the following:
- Organizing and instructing Lifeguard/CPR/AED/First Aid courses, developing specific program outcomes.
- Ensuring that participants in the class are engaged and that the class abides by industry standards.
- Motivating all participants to accomplish their personal goals while meeting the goals of the course.
- Explaining and demonstrating activity techniques to class participants.
- Preparing instructional materials and supplies. Setting up and cleaning up class room/area.
- Enforcing safety and other rules and regulations; maintaining order and discipline.
- Keeping accurate records, including incident/accident reports, time records, and attendance. Notify Aquatic Facility & Program Manager of all equipment needs or safety hazards/replacement equipment.
- Staying current on industry standards, certifications, and their influence upon desired outcomes.
This position requires positive customer service skills when communicating with participants, parents and staff.
Must be able to work a flexible schedule including early mornings, evenings and weekends. Number of work hours per week are flexible and will depend on when courses are offered.
This is a wage position which is not eligible for leave or other benefits and is limited to 1500 hours of work in a year. For more information, refer to the Wage Employment link: http://uvapolicy.virginia.edu/policy/HRM-029.
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Must be able to work a flexible schedule including early mornings, evenings and weekends.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=85585