Technology-Based Training Program Manager - Fire Service Institute (103133)
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT URBANA-CHAMPAIGN
Illinois Fire Service Institute
Technology-Based Training Program Manager
The Illinois Fire Service Institute (IFSI) is seeking a Technology-Based Training Program Manager to coordinate and oversee all aspects of Technology-Based Training program(s) development and delivery including: curriculum development and design to assure compliance with state and national standards/guidelines, staff recruitment, selection, development and mentoring to ensure the highest quality program delivery. Daily program oversight to meet the needs of the Illinois Fire Service Institute, Illinois fire departments and related emergency response personnel training programs are scheduled for days, nights, and weekends at the Champaign campus and throughout the State.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee all aspects of the Technology-Based Training program(s) and its delivery.
- Responsible for oversight of Technology-Based Training staff and Program staff including, but not limited to, staff development and training in e-learning processes and techniques.
- Assist IFSI leadership in developing vision and goals for IFSI's future.
- Identify, recruit, train/mentor cadre of instructor for effective program delivery.
- Program curriculum development.
- Work under limited supervision, to achieve course and educational deliverables.
- Ensure strict adherence to the University of Illinois and IFSI policy, rules and regulations.
- Assist in the delivery of Technology-Based Training on-and off-campus. This will include but not be limited to:
- Acquisition of materials needed for course delivery.
- Preparation of classrooms, creation of handouts, course materials, and audio-visual and presentation materials for course delivery.
- Assist with the scheduling of instructors and facilitators for course delivery.
- Approve payroll and travel ensuring accurate assignment of work performed to appropriate FP#'s and funding source.
- Assist with preparation of the training site for course delivery, and assist with returning the site to a state of readiness after course delivery.
- Assist in the planning and delivery of schools and programs, e.g., Fire College, Cadet/Explorer and Winter Fire School/various regional programs.
- Assist in the scheduling and coordination of off-site classes and programs.
- Assist in ensuring that programs adhere to established objectives and goals.
- Study trade-related publications to maintain a full and current knowledge of the latest trends in technology-based learning and fire service.
- Ensure program staff respond promptly to routine correspondence, email and voice communications and maintain, or cause to be maintained, necessary records, schedules/payroll/travel documentation and course grades.
- Serve on various Institute, University, State, and National committees, or organizations, of a technical, advisory, or administrative nature.
- Maintain an inventory of capital and non-capital program supplies/equipment.
- Assist in the development of the annual budget and budgets related to Technology-Based Training.
Other duties as may be assigned depending on the operational needs of the unit.
This position reports to the Deputy Director (IFSI), who reports to the Director (IFSI), who reports to the Associate Chancellor for Administration and Operations.
Baccalaureate degree in fire science or related discipline.
Master's degree in fire science or related discipline.
Proven project management experience. Leadership and supervisory experience in overseeing teams of project managers. 5-10 years' experience in using Technology-Based Training tools and software. Demonstrated experience in teaching and development in the Technology-Based Training environment. Proven record of developing curriculum for a variety of course delivery methodologies and appropriate testing. Experience in the development of Technology-Based Training of course materials. Experience working in a fast-paced hierarchical office environment
3 to 5 years of fire suppression, fire service or related professional experience. Demonstrated teaching experience in adult education environment.
Thorough understanding of classroom training delivered in real time electronic classrooms. Familiarity with curriculum development and design. Demonstrated high level of organizational skills. Ability to begin quickly, without significant time spent learning the job and building credibility. Demonstrated record of performance, positive attitude, and ability to work well with others.
Understanding of state and national fire service certification agencies and familiar with NFPA Standards.
This is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic, professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume and names/contact information for three professional references as a single pdf file by October 22, 2018. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by October 22, 2018. Applicants may be interviewed prior to then; however, no hiring decision will be made until after the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Drew Schlosser at [email protected] or call 217-300-4189.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Public Safety
Category: 5-Education and Student Services
Title: Technology-Based Training Program Manager - Fire Service Institute (103133)
Open Date: 09/24/2018
Organization Name: Fire Service Institute