Temporary/Per Diem - Medical Assistant
Requisition # 2018-9068
Department Health Services
Category Health Services
Full-Time / Part-Time Temporary
Application Deadline 12/31/2018
University Health Services (UHS) at Princeton University is a fully accredited (Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, or “AAAHC”) health care facility. Located in the McCosh Health Center, the Caldwell Field House and Dillon Gym, UHS provides comprehensive health services to more than 7,500 Princeton undergraduate and graduate students, and specialized services to Princeton University faculty, staff, and employees who experience work-related injuries and illnesses, or who require consultations regarding international and travel medicine.
UHS's mission is to enhance learning and student success by advancing the health and well-being of our diverse University community. This mission is pursued and supports the University's purpose by using current knowledge of health and human development to guide responsive, high quality clinical, prevention, and consultation services.
UHS's values are Respect & Compassionate Care; Integrity & Service Excellence; Collaboration & Innovative Solutions; & Engagement & Lifelong Learning.
As a member of the UHS staff, your job may be deemed “essential” as defined by University and UHS policy. Please ask you supervisor for additional information.
UHS hires individuals of all backgrounds. We build on our staff's diversity--recognizing, valuing, and appreciating the different perspectives, talents and energy of all. UHS invites all its employees to make a valuable contribution in this regard. We firmly believe that being an inclusive and culturally responsive community is one of the foundations of a vibrant, relevant organization. We aspire to develop the mindsets, knowledge and abilities to build equitable and inclusive systems, teams and culture.
The Medical Assistant provides patient care and operational support to Physicians, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, and Nurses in the urgent care clinic and outpatient clinic. Some of the Medical Assistant responsibilities include performing point of care diagnostic tests; logistical support for sports physicals for incoming students; daily stocking and maintenance of exam rooms; maintaining inventory of medical supplies; sterilization of medical instruments; preparing patients for medical visits including recording chief complaint and vital signs in the electronic medical record; and coordinating off-site referral appointments and diagnostic studies.
Clinical Care (50%)
- Perform patient intake
- Collect and record patient data (vital signs, height, weight, etc.)
- Room patients and prepare them for exams & procedures
- Set up patient care equipment
- Apply certain orthopedic appliances (knee immobilizers, slings, etc.)
- Document medications and allergies
- Provide patient education (crutch training, etc.)
- Performs CLIA waived testing such as, urine dip tests, Strep screens, Flu tests and Pregnancy tests.
- Assign patients to healthcare providers
- Manage patient flow throughout the clinic
- Perform EKGs
- Coordinate referrals and follow-up care
- Provide discharge planning
- Refer patients to the Triage Nurse for triaging
- Assists with sports physicals for incoming freshman students
- Responds to and assists in management of emergency situations
- Other duties within the scope of their practice under NJ state law, as delegated by the PCP or RN
Operations (40 %)
- Responsible for daily stocking and maintenance of exam rooms in the urgent care clinic and individual providers' rooms.
- Maintains accurate listing of supplies to be replenished as well as knowledge of medical supplies and instruments.
- Participates in clinic daily opening and closing procedures
Medical Supplies and Equipment
- Maintains inventory of clinic supply closet, athletic braces and casting materials; Monitors clinic equipment, e.g., microscope, oxygen tank, Cryo gun, etc.
- Follows infection control procedures for discarding used needles.
Administrative Duties (10 %)
- Receives patients, scan paper documents to the EMR when needed, makes photocopies of reports and health education materials; and assists in the preparation of records for all incoming students.
- Has thorough knowledge of system and administrative procedures of the clinic.
- Schedules referral appointments
Performs other duties as assigned
High School Graduate
- Certification as a Certified Medical Assistant or Registered Medical Assistant
- At least one to two years of relevant experience
- Must have knowledge of medical supplies, equipment and procedures
- Computer proficient
- Have the ability to work with all levels of the organization
- CPR/AED certification
- Rooming and flow management experience
Be advised that you will be contacted only if there is further interest in your application. The candidate dashboard will not display status updates for this requisition
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University.
Go to our careers site.