Commitment to Mission:
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- Students Matter
- Inspire Excellence
- Act Intentionally
- Better Together
- No Fear!
The Chronicle of Higher Education's "Great Colleges to Work For" is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.
Campus Marketing Statement:
Lone Star College-Tomball
Lone Star College, located in the north metropolitan Houston area, is one of the largest and fastest growing community colleges in the country featuring six comprehensive colleges and 10 centers with over 95,000 credit and non-credit students each semester, an annual budget exceeding $500,000,000, and 7,300 employees spread over a 2100 square mile area.
LSC adds $3.1 billion to the local and regional economy by providing educational opportunities across the north Houston region.
Lone Star College-Tomball, located north of Houston and founded in 1988, offers a wide range of programs including the college system's only veterinary technology program and leading health sciences programs.
Campus address is 30555 Tomball Parkway. Tomball, Texas 77375-4036
Provides direction and guidance on programs, certificates and degree plans specific to academic discipline(s). Communicates with students on a regular basis to track their success and progress. Reports on progress of students and involves others within the institution to assist with their success.
- Advises students in assigned academic discipline(s). Meets with students on a regular basis to track their academic progress and success.
- Tracks, provides and publishes data on students with declared majors in assigned discipline/division on items including success, retention, and completion rates.
- Provides coaching and advising to students on skills to develop clear and attainable educational plans.
- Provides coaching and advising to students to explore ideas and interests in a respectful, safe environment.
- Assists students in developing and updating their MEP (My Educational Plan) through completion.
- Provides coaching and advising to students to acquire the necessary skills to assume responsibility for working and achieving their educational plans, including how to use advising tools, such as Advising Resources, MyLoneStar, Program Evaluations, etc.
- Advises students on proper course selection for credit degree programs, credit and non-credit certificate programs in assigned disciplines/division including course prerequisites, co-requisites, and recommended course sequence as well as articulation agreements relating to transfer programs associated with University Center and other colleges and universities.
- Provides coaching and advises students on proper course load and sequencing to encourage individual student success.
- Provides career advising to students.
- Works with faculty and coaches of students to identify needed early interventions.
- Provides students with information and proper referrals to available resources and services on campus.
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to communicate and work well with all levels of students.
- Ability to work collaboratively with faculty and staff.
- Attention to detail for tracking of student success and student educational plans.
- Proficiency with common office software.
- Minimal physical effort is required
Work Schedule & Conditions:
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled classroom environment with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- Day-time hours only
Please go to your profile page. To add a file, select the "attachments" tab. Click on the "add" tab. Click "Browse" and select the file you want to attach. Then click "attach." It will redirect you back to the general profile page. Repeat steps to add additional documents.
Tips: You can only attach a maximum of five (5) files no larger than 2MB (2047 KB) each. The total file capacity is 10MB. If your individual file exceeds the file limit, you will receive an error message. The search tool recruiter's use for candidates will not be able to analyze the content of some attached files, mostly image files, and compressed files (zip). The recommended file attachments are word or pdf files.
You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
- Bachelor's degree
- 0 to 3 years* of related work experience with students in an educational setting, including students with diverse backgrounds
- *If applicant has no related work experience, applicant must provide evidence of some familiarity/experience in working with students; examples of such familiarity/experience could be but are not limited to student government leadership, volunteer experience in higher education setting, or higher education internships
- Experience in higher education.
- Experience advising transfer students
- Experience with career services
By joining our top notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization recognized for the 3rd year in a row as a "Great College To Work For". We offer a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition reimbursement, participation in the TIAA-CREF retirement plan and more.
How to Apply:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY!
Application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivery will not be accepted.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check
Primary Location: US-Texas-Tomball
Work Locations: 30555 Tomball Parkway (0300) , 30555 Tomball Parkway , Tomball , 77375
Job: Student Services
Organization: LSC Tomball - 03
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Staff
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Job Posting: Sep 21, 2018, 5:41:51 PM