Director of Maintenance and Operations
Job ID: 24585
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3306
Department: Maintenance & Operations
Classification: Administrator III
Anticipated Hiring Salary: Commensurate with experience
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
The Director of Maintenance and Operations (M&O) directs staff in the maintenance, repair and operations of campus buildings and grounds. The position plans, implements and directs professional and trade staff in the following areas: building operations and maintenance, vehicle and equipment repair, fleet maintenance, HVAC, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, paint/sign, lock shop, and campus utilities.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
1. Provide leadership and direction with regard to the M&O department, with an eye for continuous process improvement to best serve the campus. Development of strategic and implementation plans to further improve the effectiveness of the M&O department.
2. Guide management and staff with regard to setting goals and priorities for the department. Develop metrics to evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of the department.
3. Ensure the effective management of departmental budgetary resources. Provide proactive fiscal and contract oversight of the M&O departmental budgets.
4. Ensure the effective management of departmental Human Resources. Provide proactive management of staff to ensure top quality recruitment, retention, training, promotion, improvement and performance management of staff.
5. Lead the organization in Quality Management principles and sound systematic strategies for continuous improvement.
6. Plan, organize, control, integrate and evaluate the work of the Utilities Maintenance and Operations Departments; develop, implement and monitor long-term plans, goals and objectives focused on achieving the Universitys mission and priorities. Direct the development and monitor performance against the annual department budget; manage and direct the development, implementation and evaluation of plans, policies, systems and procedures to achieve annual goals, objectives and work standards, planned/programmed maintenance and preventive and deferred maintenance programs.
7. Plan, organize, direct and evaluate the performance of assigned staff; establish performance standards and personal development targets; regularly monitor performance and provide coaching for performance improvement and development; take disciplinary action, up to and including termination, to address performance deficiencies, in accordance with University Human Resources policies and procedures.
8. Provide leadership and work with department staff to develop and retain highly competent, customer service-oriented staff through selection, training and day-to-day management practices consistent with the department goals and values.
9. Integrate and direct the efforts and results of managers, supervisors, staff and contractors engaged in the general maintenance and repair of University buildings, utilities distribution and monitoring systems, and related infrastructure.
10. Provide expertise on departmental issues; assemble necessary resources to solve a broad range of programmatic and service problems in the delivery of utilities, maintenance and operation functions.
11. Monitor developments related to utilities matters, evaluate impact on University operations and implement policy and procedures improvements.
12. Coordinate with Capital Planning and Development on relevant aspects of the Universitys capital program from planning through design to construction and commissioning.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
Education and Experience
-Undergraduate degree in engineering, business, or related field
-Five (5) years of experience in a senior level position in Physical Plant Operations or related field
-Ten (10) years of supervisory experience, including leading union represented staff
-Demonstrated budgetary experience and the ability to model operations
-Possession of a current California Drivers License
-Graduate degree in in engineering, business or related field
-Demonstrated experience in Capital Project Management
-Current registration as a Professional Engineer in Civil, Mechanical or Electrical disciplines
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
-Ability to lead by example, modeling a caring, collaborative and open culture and environment which values the individual, teams and teamwork, ethical conduct, exemplary customer service and quality results.
-Ability to troubleshoot and implement service delivery improvements.
-Thorough knowledge of campus physical plant maintenance and operations.
-Thorough knowledge of contracts and ability to negotiate business terms.
-Thorough knowledge of energy conservation practices and sustainability initiatives.
-Knowledge of Leadership in Energy Efficient Design (LEED).
-Strong communication skills including ability to write clear and concise reports and correspondence; and ability to interact effectively with many levels of personnel.
-Skill at providing sound analysis and guidance to supervisory staff concerning disciplinary actions and employee/labor relations issues in a collective bargaining environment.
-Strong knowledge of engineering requirements and programs related to facilities operation, utility design and construction.
-Ability to read blueprints and specifications and to analyze design features and requirements.
-Strong leadership skills, human resource management skills, effective interpersonal relations skills and good written and verbal communication skills.
-Knowledge of and ability to provide quality customer service through effective and accepted quality methods and processes.
-Ability to interpret financial operating reports. Demonstrated ability to manage multi-functional and diverse programs of significant budgetary impact.
-Leadership ability to direct skilled work teams engaged in project management, renovation, alteration, operations, maintenance and repair of vehicles, varying building/utility structures and systems.
-Substantial technical knowledge of utilities and building systems.
May 24, 2018
Application Screening begins June 8, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046