Shuttle Bus Driver
Job ID: 24657
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 6366
Department: Parking Services
Classification: Heavy Equipment Operator/Bus Driver
Salary Range: $3,227/month - $5,670/month
FLSA status: Non - Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the Parking Services Manager the shuttle bus driver transports students, faculty, staff, and visitors between the South Campus Park & Ride lots and the Main Campus. When shuttle service is not required, the shuttle bus driver assists with other duties, including parking facility maintenance, vehicle cleaning/maintenance and/or general office duties. The driver is also responsible for the safe operation of the shuttle buses which includes daily safety inspections, fueling/servicing and making minor repairs/adjustments as needed.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Drive shuttle buses and comply with applicable laws and regulations
- Fuel and clean shuttle buses. Remove debris and trash
- Keep statistical data on ridership and complete daily inspection reports
- Turn in lost/found items and report suspicious circumstances/safety hazards in parking facilities and on designated bus routes
- Assist with basic maintenance duties in parking facilities and with general office duties
Education and Experience
Equivalent to one year of paid or regularly assigned driving experience in a job involving operating a delivery vehicle, truck, tractor, bus, or automotive maintenance equipment. Possess appropriate license for each vehicle operated and may be required by the State of California Vehicle Code to carry appropriate certification while driving. Drivers of State-owned vehicles must maintain a good driving record* which will be checked periodically with the Department of Motor Vehicles.
License & Certificates
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- One year or more of commercial driving experience operating a vehicle requiring a Commercial Class A or Commercial Class B California Drivers License endorsed for passengers and air brakes.
- Equivalent to one year of paid regularly assigned driving experience in a job involving operating a delivery vehicle, truck, tractor, or bus.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of the rules of safe driving and the provisions of the State of California Vehicle Code as they pertain to the operation of shuttle buses.
- Knowledge of the State of Californian General Industrial Safety Orders related to vehicle operation.
- Ability to safely operate an up-to-47 passenger bus.
- Ability to recognize safety hazards and follow practices and laws to insure safety.
- Ability to follow safety manuals and guidelines pertaining to the operation of State vehicles.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to service and make routine repairs of equipment operated.
- Excellent customer service and public relation skills.
- Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports.
- Ability to learn to operate basic office equipment and basic parking maintenance tools.
- Ability to assess traffic patterns and make route adjustments to facilitate bus service.
- Must possess a valid Commercial Class A or B California Drivers License endorsed for passengers and air brakes.
- Must possess a valid medical certificate. The driver of state-owned vehicles must maintain a good driving record which will be checked periodically with the California Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Must be fingerprinted, pass a background investigation and a drug test.
July 23, 2018
Application Screening begins August 13, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046