Assistant Parking Manager
Job ID: 24656
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3312
Department: Parking Services
Classification: Administrator II
Anticipated Hiring Salary: Commensurate with experience
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting directly to the Parking Manager and working under general direction, the Assistant Parking Manager is responsible for the daily operation of the parking business function and the citation collection and parking enforcement programs. Makes independent decisions and resolves customer service issues. Updates superiors regularly with pertinent information regarding daily operations. Represents SJSU Parking Services and acts as a liaison between the community and Parking Services in an effort to promote excellent customer service and strengthen the image of the department. In the absence of the Parking Manager, the Assistant Parking Manager is responsible for all areas of Parking Services, including maintenance and shuttle operations. Under general direction, maintains and fosters a close working relationship with all members of the University community including students, faculty, staff, and administrators using a strong customer service approach. Continuously works to improve the consistency and efficiency in all areas of the Support Services Division. Works to resolve customer service issues for the Support Services Division.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Assigns projects and daily work.
- Assists in operations as required.
- Ensures customer satisfaction and resolves customer complaints.
- Recommends, develops, and implements operational policies and procedures.
- Ensures compliance with applicable policy and law.
- Ensures parking regulations are adhered to at all times and are equally enforced.
- Determines areas and times of priority enforcement.
- Develops and recommends operational policies and procedures.
- Provides oversight of the first level appeals process conducted within the Parking Office
- Analyzes appeals to determine if policies and signage are appropriate or need modification.
- Evaluates effectiveness of citation collection program and evaluates effectiveness.
- Develops policies and procedures to increase efficiency.
- Ensures compliance with applicable policy and law.
- Oversees the coordination of parking operations during University special events.
- Meets with community groups, determines parking staffing levels, and notifies other departments as needed.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
Education and Experience
Bachelors Degree and five or more years of progressively responsible experience in a large public or private parking operation, with at least three years of supervisory or management experience.
License & Certificates
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.
- Experience at the management level in a large public or private parking operation with experience in financial, parking facilities operations, personnel, and bargaining unit issues.
- Experience with various electronic parking operations technologies, including parking-specific software programs, electronic handheld ticket writers, electronic signage, automated pay stations, and revenue control equipment.
- Experience with parking administration training certification through International Parking Institute (IPI) or National Parking Association (NPA).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to recommend initiatives and changes to improve quality and services for unit/department/division/university
- Ability to develop and present recommendations for the improvement of established processes and practices; imitate and implements plans to solve problems.
- Ability to develop resources that creates timely and efficient workflow and maximize productivity
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, procedure manuals, and to create policies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and public relation skills.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions and to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with multiple abstract and concrete variables.
- Strong computer software skills in Microsoft Excel and Word.
- A valid California Drivers License is required at time of hire for the operation of any vehicle required for this position.
- Ability to successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for CSU campuses and pass the course exam.
- Thorough knowledge of electronic parking technologies, as well as gate and revenue control equipment.
- Ability to effectively resolve difficult situations in a calm and courteous manner.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Strong management skills to supervise and train staff, including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments; employee development and performance management skills.
July 23, 2018
Application Screening begins August 16, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046