EOP Academic Advisor (Part-Time) (Temporary)
Job ID: 24845
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job Code: 3084
Department: Educ Opportunity Program
Classification: Student Services Professional III
Anticipated Hiring Range: $4,554/month - $4,694/month (Full- Time)
Salary Range: $4,554/month - $6,488/month (Full-Time)
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jos State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/up/all/benefits/
About the Position
*This is a 6 month part-time temporary position. *
Reporting to the Director of the Education Opportunity Program and in collaboration with departments within the University, the EOP Academic Advisor promotes San Jose State University's (SJSU) commitment to the Educational Opportunity Program. The position facilitates the admission process of all service area high schools and community college students. Working independently under limited supervision, this position represents San Jose State University at off campus events/on-campus EOP events. Works collaboratively with area high schools and community colleges, and assists in attracting and enrolling an academically strong, culturally diverse, and socially conscious undergraduate student population.
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in a related field, including or supplemented by upper division or graduate coursework in counseling techniques, interviewing, and conflict resolution where such are job-related.
- Three years of progressively responsible professional student services work experience. A master's degree in Counseling, Clinical Psychology, Social Work, or a directly related field may be substituted for one year of experience. A doctorate degree and the appropriate internship or clinical training in counseling or guidance may be substituted for the three years of experience for positions with a major responsibility for professional career or personal counseling.
- Master's degree in Educational Counseling, Social Work, Sociology, Psychology, or related field.
- 1-2 years of academic advising experience, preferably with first generation college students.
- Experience with higher education academic advising policies and procedures.
- Experience with PeopleSoft, Gradesfirst, and customer service based technology systems.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to interpret and convey CSU, SJSU, GUP, Student and Faculty Success Services, and Academic Advising and Retention Services policies and procedures to ensure student success.
- Thorough knowledge of or the ability to quickly acquire knowledge of Title V of the California State Education Code, EOP Executive Orders, California State University Executive Orders, San Jose State University, and Education Opportunity Program admissions policies and procedures.
- General knowledge of counseling techniques.
- Ability to design and conduct workshops, and make presentations.
- Ability to market and recruit students for San Jose State University.
- Excellent verbal and communication skills.
November 21, 2018
Application Screening begins December 5, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046