Job ID: 24850
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 6703
Department: Co-Generation Plant
Classification: Operating Engineer
Anticipated Hiring Range: $5,207/month - $6,030/month
Salary Range: $5,207/month - $6,654/month
FLSA status: Non-Exempt
San Jos State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/up/all/benefits/
About the Position
Responsible for operating, servicing and performing maintenance activities following appropriate safety procedures on various mechanical equipment such as gas turbines, generators, gas compressors, air emission systems and water purifiers in a campus power plant. Operate and perform maintenance on other related power plant equipment such as boilers, diesel or gas reciprocating engines, and other mechanical auxiliary equipment. Monitor instrumentation gauges for operating problems. Operate and monitor the power plant's computer-based management system as it interfaces with the Energy Management System (EMS). Endeavor to coordinate the operation of power plant equipment in order to produce the optimum amount of energy in the most cost-effective manner, to ensure a clean, safe and attractive learning environment. Position makes decisions based upon sound maintenance practice.
May rotate through various shift assignments at stations either in a central plant or in the utilities centers of individual buildings or campus center for the operation, service and repair of low, medium, or high-speed revolution co-generation equipment.
Must be able to successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for CSU campuses and pass the course exam.
Must be able to accommodate a work schedule that varies according to operational needs and may include evening and weekend hours. Position requires use of a respirator. May rotate through various shift assignments at stations either in a central plant or in the utilities centers of individual buildings or campus center for the operation, service and repair of low, medium, or high-speed revolution co-generation equipment.
- High school diploma, California GED, or equivalent to two years of experience in the operation, maintenance, and repairs of boilers and chillers, diesel, or gas reciprocating engines and other related mechanical equipment. Completion of a certificate program in mechanical technology which includes the actual operation of boilers, gas or reciprocating engines may be substituted for up to one year of the required experience. Also require successful completion of an on-the-job training program in the operation, maintenance and minor repair of gas turbines, generators, gas compressors, air emission systems and water purifiers in a power plant and cogeneration system. Other equivalent evidence of meeting the above minimum qualifications may be considered.
- Requires the possession of a valid California Driver's License for the operation of any vehicle or equipment required for position and in any emergency situation.
- Must participate in all OSHA required physicals and examinations.
- Associates degree in a technical field.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of high and low pressure boiler and chiller systems, electrical distribution and transfer systems and equipment, and
- auxiliary equipment.
- Thorough knowledge of the methods, materials and tools used in the operation of applicable systems.
- Working knowledge of system water testing and treatment procedures.
- Working knowledge of applicable building automation systems and interfaces.
- Ability to operate boilers and chillers safely and efficiently.
November 21, 2018
Application Screening begins December 5, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046