International Student Advisor
Job ID: 24844
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3084
Department: Int'nl Student &Scholar Servcs
Classification: Student Services Professional III
Anticipated Hiring Salary: $4,554/month - $5,200/month
Salary Range: $4,554/month - $6,488/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jos State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/up/all/benefits/
About the Position
Working independently under the general supervision of the Director of International Student and Scholar Services, and receiving work direction from the Assistant Director of International Student Advising, the International Student Advisor (ISA) provides direct service to students and scholars; offers administrative and technical support; facilitates programming; interacts with faculty, administrators, staff, and off-campus agencies. These areas often overlap in the fulfillment of responsibilities.
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in a related field, including or supplemented by upper division or graduate coursework in counseling techniques, interviewing, and conflict resolution where such are job-related.
- Three years of progressively responsible professional student services work experience. A master's degree in Counseling, Clinical Psychology, Social Work, or a directly related field may be substituted for one year of experience. A doctorate degree and the appropriate internship or clinical training in counseling or guidance may be substituted for the three years of experience for positions with a major responsibility for professional career or personal counseling.
- One year of F1 and J1 immigration advising and DSO working experience.
- Experience with USCIS regulations
- Experience with SEVIS procedures.
- Experience maintaining student data and records
- Student Service Advising experience in a University setting.
- Experience interacting with individuals in a cross cultural environment
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of U.S. government immigration regulations; immigration advising methods, procedures, and practices; and SEVIS
- Ability to use judgement to independently analyze and interpret regulations pertaining to F-1 and J-1 students and to develop creative solutions to complex cases
- Ability to keep website current, and communicate via Social Media tools
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to advise students individually and in groups on routine matters
November 21, 2018
Application Screening begins December 5, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046