Media Instructional Technologist
Job Description Summary:
I. JOB OVERVIEW
The Media Instructional Technologist works closely with the George Washington University SMPA faculty and community to develop web-based and multimedia teaching materials. This position will provide initiative and contribute to the direction for the application and effective use of current and emerging instructional technologies across multiple content platforms. This position requires continuous interaction with students, faculty, staff and external clients, and is key to preparing students to configure, operate, and troubleshoot multimedia software and equipment.
Activities include: 1) providing learning technology support to the SMPA community and assisting them in developing technology skills, and 2) assisting faculty in integrating learning technologies into their pedagogy and creating course learning objects, and 3) providing technical, creative, and visual design support in integrating emerging technologies for face-to-face, blended, and online modalities. 4) delivery high quality product on time and within budget.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
- Actively reach out and work directly with faculty in a variety of professional learning settings including individual consultation, informal settings, and formal workshops to integrate technology into teaching.
- Consults on the use of appropriate tools and technologies to enhance teaching and learning.
- Assist faculty in developing teaching materials using a variety of tools and products including programming languages, content management systems, Blackboard LMS, eLearning authoring software and similar programs.
- Assists with support, documentation, and training for learning technology systems.
- Learns new technologies and evaluates potential applications for teaching and learning.
- Uses graphic design software tools to develop instructional materials.
- Promote instructional technologies via presentations, training, blog articles, and documentation.
- Continuous interaction with students, faculty, staff and external clients in order to prepare students to configure, operate and troubleshoot multimedia software and equipment.
- Coordinate setup, operation and troubleshooting of multimedia computer systems, multimedia labs and the broadcast studio.
- Supervise freelance staff on video shoots. Anticipate and respond to needs and requests from clients.
- Create, manage, and maintain the schedule of all video production activities for SMPA.
- Set-up and break down production camera, lighting, and audio equipment.
- Listen and respond to faculty and student needs regarding multimedia technology in order to identify appropriate hardware, software and training options.
- Provide support and perform basic troubleshooting to resolve hardware, software and audio-visual problems related to instruction, course work and multimedia production.
- Develops and delivers instructional technology training workshops with an emphasis on multimedia technology.
- Assists with setup, operation, and troubleshooting of multimedia production tools including management and oversight of small-scale video pre-production planning and on-site production activities for University video clients.
- Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 2 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Master's degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience in demanding customer service environments providing technical services. Strong communication and customer service skills.
- Experience with multimedia hardware, software, network configuration, and internet applications.
- Knowledge of shooting and editing multimedia videos and interviewing techniques for multimedia videos.
- Excellent organization, planning, interpersonal and communication skills, client services and ability to work in teams.
- Ability to manage numerous projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Understanding of the design of the audio/visual backend of production facilities.
- Complex understanding of digital video signal distribution and modern media delivery methods, including encoder/decoders, H.264 streams, and media streaming capabilities to popular sites like Periscope, Facebook Live, Instagram and Twitter.
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: Columbian College of Arts & Sciences (CCAS) Family Academic Technology Sub-Family Academic Instructional Technology Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 2 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Mon-Fri, 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa statusInternal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S007794 Job Open Date: 11/21/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is your expected salary range?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter