Associate Dean for the Graduate School
Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date July 24, 2018
Position Title Associate Dean for the Graduate School
Vacancy # V-1508
Department Academic Affairs
Division Academic Affairs
To support the University and the Graduate School in achieving key institutional objectives, among them:
- Growth in the quantity, quality, and diversity of the student enrollment
- Enhancement of student academic, personal, and professional achievement
- Support of interdisciplinary programming and inter-unit cooperation
- Expansion of external relationships, including the development and partnerships to enhance academic programs and their reach, and to increase the resource base of the University and School.
- Improving administrative and resources support to faculty and students to achieve the Graduate School's strategic mission.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reporting directly to the Vice Provost/Dean, assist on planning and managing for such areas as enrollment, academic support services, facilities, staffing needs, and other resources.
- Assist the Dean in the development and leadership of strategic and other long-range plans for the Graduate School. Work closely with other colleges/schools in the development of initiatives relating to graduate student programs/services.
- Work closely with the Dean of the Graduate School, Academic Deans, and Graduate Council to assist faculty with administrative processes associated with curriculum development and curriculum revisions.
- Serve as liaison with graduate advisors, department chairs, program coordinators, and other administrative offices to facilitate administrative change and enhancement.
- Oversee the academic affairs functions of the Graduate School
- Evaluate and approve doctoral forms: Doctoral Qualifying Examination Applicant, Qualifying Examination results, Admission to Candidacy, Approval of Dissertation Committee, Approval of Dissertation Proposal, and Dissertation Defense Data Forms, and forward appropriate certifications to the office of the Registrar for doctoral students' audit evaluations.
- Promote faculty and student research accomplishments at Montclair State University
- Represent graduate education and The Graduate School on University Committees including Graduate Council and the Curriculum subcommittee and Policy subcommittees.
- Assist in formalizing Graduate School policy.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Candidates for this position must hold a doctoral degree in an appropriate discipline and have experience in graduate education.
- The successful candidate will have a broad knowledge of graduate education, possess relevant leadership experience, and be tenurable in an appropriate unit/department at MSU.
- Candidates for this position should possess relevant leadership experience.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION