Substitute Teaching Assistant
Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date July 23, 2018
Position Title Substitute Teaching Assistant
Vacancy # TEMP#072318
Department Ben Samuels Children's Center
Division Academic Affairs
Ben Samuels Children's Center at Montclair State University is a model of excellence in inclusive early care and education of children from birth through 5 years. The Center is committed to examining and implementing the best practices of teaching and learning in a nurturing environment where all children learn, play, and grow together.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Function as a member of a trans-disciplinary teaching team; share ideas and information with colleagues; participate in the University community of learners;
- Plan, organize and implement curriculum and lesson plans;
- Maintain classroom and playgrounds in a neat, clean, safe, attractive manner, examine environment for any potential hazards; maintain proper condition of materials and equipment in classroom;
- Create a community in the classroom that is nurturing, caring, safe and conductive to learning for all members of the community; participate in inquiry, reflection, coaching and mentoring activities;
- Demonstrate culturally responsive pedagogy;
- Provides children with the necessary physical care, such as feedings, toileting, washing, and other hygienic aspects and assists in teaching self-help skills;
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with families; develop and maintain positive, respectful, open two-way communication with families about their children and the Center;
- Report any instances of suspected child abuse to DYFS, classroom Teacher and Center Director;
- Maintain valid Infant/Child CPR and First Aid Certification;
- Performs other duties as assigned;
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
Duration of Assignment: Any length of time from one day to several weeks, dictated by the absence of the teacher/teaching assistant. Will be offered shifts on an "as needed" basis in infant, toddler and preschool classrooms. Hours will correspond to the teacher's hours that you are replacing, and cover the period from July 1st, 2018 - June 30th 2019. Rehire for future years is contingent on need and performance.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Successful work history of at least one to two years in a child care, preschool or primary classroom setting
- Degree in Early Childhood Education, Early Childhood Special Education, CDA or other field related to Child Growth & Development.
Commensurate with experience.
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Lindsay Frigo, Associate Director, Ben Samuels Children's Center
You will need to combine your cover letter, resume or CV into one single document (PDF).
(include TEMP#072318 in the subject line)
Apply By Review will begin immediately and continues until position is filled.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION