Custodian 5 (Custodial Supervisor)
Whatcom Community college invites applications for a Custodian 5 (Class Code 678M). The Custodian 5 (Custodial Supervisor) reports to the Facilities Manager and must interact with all members of the campus community as well as contractors, public agencies, and the general public. Work is assigned both electronically via the facilities work request system and/or verbally depending on the project scope. This is a "working" supervisor position. This position is expected to perform regular custodial duties in addition to assigned supervisory responsibilities. The duties of this position may be shifted to cover areas where the custodial team is short staffed.
Includes but not limited to:
- Supervises, directs, and instructs custodial personnel in cleaning and house keeping duties for multiple campus facilities.
- Organizes and schedules custodial services and tracks the custodial, budget spending.
- Conducts performance evaluations.
- Conducts interviews and makes recommendations regarding employment.
- Inspects assigned areas; ensures departmental/facility standards are met.
- Prepares a variety of reports such as analysis of custodial workloads, service requirements, custodial procedures and employee job performance evaluations.
- Responsible for organizing/conducting all required safety training specific to custodial duties.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Performs custodial duties including general and deep cleaning of classrooms, restrooms, floors, offices and common areas. Unlock/lock doors and turn off lights of buildings/rooms. Supervise, instruct, and assign cleaning responsibilities to custodial personnel.
- Inspect buildings to ensure proper cleaning, make corrections where needed.
- Perform basic maintenance and minor repairs on custodial equipment and coordinate major service with vendors.
- Evaluate, order inventory and maintain stock of custodial supplies.
- Research new custodial products/equipment, prepare cost estimates, and make recommendations for new equipment and supply purchases.
- Determine custodial staffing requirements for campus buildings.
- Maintain employee records (i.e. leave records, disciplinary records, EDPPs, etc.)
- Coordinate custodial coverage for campus events.
- Respond to after hours maintenance, safety and security issues.
- Operate campus vehicles to transport custodial supplies, equipment, recycling, trash, etc.
Qualifications, Salary and Appointment
- High school diploma or GED.
- Minimum five years working in the custodial services field.
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator's license.
- Physical ability to perform the essential functions of the custodial position including lifting up to 50 pounds and standing/walking a good portion of the shift.
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously.
- Actively partners with co-workers to provide them with information, techniques, instruction, feedback and encouragement to maximize their success on the job.
- Ability to supervise a diverse work crew and overcome minor communication challenges and skill levels.
- A good understanding of applicable standards to establish/maintain a safe work environment.
- Adapts easily to changing business needs, conditions and work responsibilities.
- Clearly and effectively communicates with individuals and groups within and outside the organization.
- Comprehends and applies standard solutions and service options. When standard options are insufficient, develops innovative solutions to meet customer needs.
- Carries out customer interactions in a respectful manner that maintains the dignity of all.
- Computer competency and knowledge of MS Windows operating system (i.e. Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Training and/or certification in chemical safety, personal protective equipment, basic industrial hygiene and safe working practices.
- Experience with leading and/or supervising a team of custodians in a multi-facility environment.
Salary and benefits:
- Range 40, full-time salary starting at $2,905 per month with periodic increments to $3,774 per month. Benefits include life, health, dental and long-term disability insurance, State retirement plan, vacation and sick leave and holiday pay.
- As soon as can be arranged with successful candidate.
Shift and working conditions:
- The Custodial Supervisor position requires the ability to work both indoors and outdoors, often in inclement weather. The ability to safely handle power cleaning equipment, cleaning chemicals and other custodial related products is essential to this position. Work schedule may vary from season to season depending on specific needs of the college.
Application due date:
- Applications due on Monday, December 10th, 2018 at 4:59 pm.
To apply please visit us at: