Assistant Professor of Sociology
Assistant Professor of Sociology,
Department of Social, Cultural, and Justice Studies
IRIS Position #: 20002484
The Department of Social, Cultural, and Justice Studies at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga College of Arts and Sciences invites applications for a tenure-track position in Sociology beginning August 1, 2019.
Successful candidates will possess the following requirements:
- Ph.D. in Sociology or Ph.D. in Criminology and a Master’s degree in Sociology. Potential candidates with ABD will be considered but must have completed doctorate before start date.
- Evidence of specialty in Organization and Institutions (such as Institutional Corrections, Juvenile Delinquency, etc.), Sociology of Work and Labor, and/or Globalization and World Systems.
- Demonstrated interest in community engagement, both in research and teaching and willingness to teach and conduct research in an interdisciplinary environment including sociology, criminal justice, anthropology, and geography.
- Ability to teach Introduction to Sociology and courses in Sociological Theories.
- Candidates should be willing to engage in a variety of instructional modalities, including online instruction, especially High Impact Educational Practices (HIEP), including undergraduate active and experiential learning, and supervising undergraduate research and internships.
- Willingness to engage in assisting the UTC campus in its ability to reach additional goals as specified in UTC’s Strategic Plan, including a demonstrable commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Qualified candidates should submit the following information within our online application system for consideration:
- Cover letter/letter of interest, including evidence of teaching experience, established record of scholarship, and external funding for research or community service;
- CV, including up-to-date, personal contact information (email, phone, etc.);
- Unofficial transcripts;
- Work samples of curricula including sample syllabi, teaching philosophy, etc.;
- Additionally, provide us with names, titles, email addresses, and phone numbers of three (3) referees who may be requested for confidential letters of recommendation.
Review of applications will start on January 7, 2019, and continue until the position is filled. Preference will be given to those qualified candidates who apply before January 7, 2019.
Applications must be submitted electronically through the UTC Faculty Career Site by visiting: https://ut.taleo.net/careersection/utc_faculty/jobdetail.ftl?job=18000001NV
The University of Tennessee Chattanooga is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status.