Tenure-track, Assistant Professor of Literacy Education
The Department of Learning and Instruction in the Graduate School of Education at the University at Buffalo, State University of New York invites applications for a position as an Assistant Professor Literacy Education
to begin August 2019.
As a faculty member, the successful applicant will also (a) teach and advise Master’s students in Literacy Specialist, Childhood with Literacy Emphasis, Literacy Education programs and Master’s teacher education certification programs; (b) contribute to the Curriculum and Instruction in the Science of Learning (CISL) PhD program concentration in literacy/reading and supervise PhD students; (c) teach graduate courses in literacy delivered in face-to-face, hybrid, and online formats; and (d) provide leadership and service at the local, state, and national levels.
We seek candidates whose experience and research have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence while bringing in additional perspectives that will contribute to a dynamic and engaged research, teaching, and service agenda. Candidates will have a research focus in one or more areas of reading, writing, literacy research related to elementary, middle grades, or adolescent literacy. Strong applicants demonstrate evidence of strong potential for excellence in research and for seeking and securing external funding. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
- An earned doctorate in reading, literacy, or related field prior to appointment
- A research focus in one or more areas of reading/writing literacy research related to elementary, middle grades/adolescent literacy
- Research or work in areas of diversity, including but not limited to, language, race, culture, Indigeneity, sexuality, gender, disability,
- geographic location, socio-economic status, or refugee/immigrant literacies
- Experience and/or teaching in P-12 schools
- Teaching experience in teacher education settings
- Experience with online teaching
- Experience with quantitative and/or qualitative methods
- Experience in design-based research
- A record of obtaining research funding (or strong potential for funding)
- Published research or scholarship (or strong potential for publication)
- History of collaboration (or strong potential for collaboration)
Applications received by November 1, 2018, are assured full consideration. We will continue to accept and screen applications until the position is filled. A complete application includes:
- A cover letter that includes: (a) relevant qualifications for the position, (b) research and teaching interests, (c) and a statement describing how you have worked to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in your previous position(s)—as a graduate studentorfacultymember—andhowyouplantocontinuetodosoas a faculty member at UB (not to exceed 4 pages).
- A curriculumvitae
To review the complete position posting and to apply, please visit:
For general help or questions about submissions
Contact Name: Lisa Monpere-Cruz
Title: Hiring Manager
Email: [email protected]
For questions about the Assistant Professor position
Contact Name: Mary McVee, PhD
Title: Professor and Search Chair
Email: [email protected]
The University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer (AA/EOE).