Tenure-track, Assistant Professor of Mathematics Education
The Department of Learning and Instruction in the Graduate School of Education at the University at Buffalo (UB), State University of New York (SUNY) invites applications for a position as an Assistant Professor of Mathematics Education to begin August 2019. This is a tenure-track, 9-month position. The University at Buffalo is New York State's largest and most comprehensive public university. A premier center for graduate and professional education, UB is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities, placing it among the leading research-intensive public universities in the United States with faculty acknowledge in the U. S. and abroad as leaders in their respective fields
The Department of Learning and Instruction has a long history of research excellence, as well as a strong tradition of teaching and community engagement. Faculty demonstrate a commitment to creating a collegial academic environment characterized by equity, social justice, interdisciplinary collaboration, an ethic of care, and research that demonstrates an impact on children and youth, schools, or communities.
We seek candidates whose experience and research have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence while bringing in additional perspectives that will contribute to a dynamic and engaged research, teaching, and service agenda. The strong applicants will have some demonstrated evidence of the strong potential for excellence in research and for seeking and securing external funding. Although the specific area of research is open, we are particularly interested in candidates who are engaged in research on one or more of the following topics: (a.) teaching and learning of statistics, (b.) teaching and learning of calculus, (c.) teaching and learning of geometry, or (d.) teaching and learning of algebra.
- An earned doctorate in mathematics education or a closely related field prior to appointment, with a strong background in mathematics
- An active record of or demonstrated potential for, excellence in scholarly activity in the field of mathematics education
- Strong potential for seeking and attracting external funding
- Experience teaching in middle school or high school mathematics
- Experience teaching courses related to math and STEM education to either future or practicing teachers, especially in an online environment
- Demonstrated experience working with a diverse student population
- A research program that merges theory and practice with an emphasis on student thinking and sense making
- Demonstrated ability to provide quality instruction in face-to-face, hybrid, and online learning environments on a variety of topics related to the pedagogy and content of high school mathematics
- A commitment to strong university advising, particularly related to advising doctoral and online students
- The potential to work across disciplines as a growing initiative to pursue critical issues in STEM education at the secondary and postsecondary levels
We welcome candidates from a range of methodological traditions and employing a range of methodologies including, but not limited to, observational, experimental, design-based research, and mixed-method approaches. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applications received by November 1, 2018, are assured full consideration. We will continue to accept and screen applications until the position is filled. A complete application includes:
- A cover letter that includes: (a.) relevant qualifications for the position, (b.) research and teaching interests, (c.) and a statement describing how you have worked to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in your previous position(s)—as a graduate studentorfacultymember—andhowyouplantocontinuetodosoas a faculty member at UB (not to exceed 4 pages).
- A curriculumvitae
- Up to three samples of writing/publications combined into one .pdf document
To review the complete position posting and to apply, please visit: http://www.ubjobs.buffalo.edu/postings/16747
For general help or questions about submissions
Contact Name: Lisa Monpere-Cruz
Title: Assistant to the Chair
Email: [email protected]
For questions about the Assistant Professor position
Contact Name: Dr. Ji-Won Son
Title: Associate Professor and Search Chair
Email: [email protected]
The University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer (AA/EOE).