Triage Counselor - Student Mental Health
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Triage Counselor - Student Mental Health
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, one of four campuses in the University of Colorado System, is the major academic medical center in the Rocky Mountain region. The Anschutz Medical Campus is home to the University of Colorado Hospital, Children's Hospital Colorado and a new Veterans Affairs Hospital, making it one of the largest and most comprehensive biomedical research and clinical care centers in the western United States. With world-class health sciences research, educational and clinical facilities, the CU School of Medicine has established distinctive and highly productive programs, receiving research awards of more than $350 million per year, including more than $200 million from National Institutes of Health and other federal agencies. The School's total annual clinical and research revenue exceeds $1.2 billion per year.
The University of Colorado School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry has just welcomed their new Department Chair, C. Neill Epperson, MD and is in the process of growing the Department of Psychiatry with new programs and expanding existing programs.
Nature of Work
The triage counselor at University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus Student Mental Health will join the team with responsibilities for mental health care of our health professional students, residents, and fellows (learners). The primary responsibility of this clinician is to be available for walk-in and same-day appointments for intake evaluations of learners on the Anschutz Medical Campus. Additional responsibilities include leadership in program development, coordination of and participation in outreach efforts, and administrative functions. This clinician will practice in an outreach location at one of the education buildings on campus and will be supported by the Student Mental Health (SMH) faculty and staff, located in Fitzsimmons Building on the CU Anschutz campus. SMH is a clinical service in operation since 2008 and provides and coordinates mental health and wellness services to approximately 4300 health professional students and more than 1000 CU GME and Denver Health residents and fellows.
The SMH team members include psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, and psychiatric nurse practitioners. The team provides initial psychiatric evaluations, ongoing mental health care, and referrals as necessary. SMH supports the missions of all the schools, helping them effectively address mental health issues that arise in their programs or with their students. The triage counselor will coordinate with the CU Anschutz CARE team, student services, the Student Health Promotions Manager, and other school faculty and staff as needed. The triage counselor must be comfortable responding to learners in crisis, recognize when emergent care is (and isn't) needed, and have the ability to effectively problem-solve with learners in a collaborative manner. The triage counselor will become familiar with campus resources and will refer students and residents to the appropriate resources and best next level of care.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must be knowledgeable about student mental health and substance use issues.
- Must have skills in risk assessment including suicide and violence risk assessment.
- Must be comfortable with case management and coordination of care.
- Must be able to triage effectively.
- Must be efficient with time management with the ability to see many students in a row if needed or to use time constructively for administrative or other work if no students are waiting for evaluation.
- Must develop knowledge about health schools on the Anschutz Medical Campus.
- Must be able to work closely and collaboratively with students and faculty.
- Must be able to work cooperatively with all constituencies in the Department of Psychiatry including Departmental Chair, Program Directors, and administrative staff.
- Should be comfortable developing wellness programs and with public speaking.
- Self-directed and flexible.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Supervision & Collaboration
The triage counselor will report directly to the Medical Director, Dr. Rachel Davis of the Department of Psychiatry.
Examples of Work Performed
- Provides multi-culturally sensitive behavior health assessment, triage, linkage, and brief counseling services for CU Anschutz students.
- Collaborate with other mental health faculty and staff in the provision of mental health and wellness care.
- Manage same-day and walk-in appointment schedules.
- Provide same-day, walk-in appointments for students.
- Chart patient visits using an electronic medical record.
- Triage and refer students as needed to appropriate next level providers.
- Coordinate with the Student Health Promotions Manager to develop a holistic vision for the development of programs for student mental health and wellness.
- Develop programmatic benchmarks and outcomes of effectiveness.
- Participate in quality and performance assessment projects.
- Develop and/or organize wellness talks, courses, and consultation processes.
- Participate in the development of and administration of group programs including stress management, anxiety/depression, wellness, and relationship groups.
- Provide outreach to the schools, college and programs.
- Lead Mental Health First Aid sessions or other peer support programs for students.
- Participate in other programs and service development.
- Serve on Healthy Campus Steering Committee.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Professional Field & Qualifications
Candidates must have an LPC or LCSW and must be eligible for a Colorado License. Experience as a clinician is paramount. In addition, leadership skills and experience in program development, excellent public speaking and interpersonal skills, and experience in wellness are preferred. The triage counselor will have the professional and personal qualities to work effectively with faculty, administrators, and students. The triage counselor will be passionate about the importance of learners' well-being when in professional health. Faculty appointments in the Colorado School of Medicine Department of Psychiatry are commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 15177
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21323 - SOM-PSYCH-OTHR CLIN SVS-GEN OP
Posting Date: Nov 20, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Rachel Davis, MD
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00756380