Substance Abuse Counselor
University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine/Addiction Research and Treatment Services (ARTS)/ The Haven
Substance Abuse Counselor (Health Care Technician II)
Position# 670064 Posting #15204
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Haven is a residential Modified Therapeutic Community, located on the Ft. Logan campus in Southwest Denver, where women can recover from the disease of addiction and co-occurring mental health disorders in a safe and confidential environment. The program utilizes therapeutic approaches to assist individuals in learning healthy coping skills, acquiring life skills, and changing unhealthy behaviors in order to become self -sufficient, confident, and productive members of society. Treatment is also provided to pregnant and parenting mothers, allowing infants to reside with their mothers in treatment. Bonding and attachment is facilitated between mother and child and parenting groups focus on building positive parenting skills.
This full-time University Staff (unclassified) position is part of a lager interdisciplinary team that provides substance use disorder counseling and case management to clients enrolled in the program. Essential job functions include:
- Facilitate groups and provide individual counseling and case management
- Develop treatment plans
- Prepare monthly reports for referring agencies
- Observe UAS, perform facility head counts, monitor medications, and assure safety of the facility
- Drive clients to appointments; medical, dental, legal, DHS and outings
- Other duties as assigned
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
The hiring salary for this position has been established at $37,584 and is commensurate with skills and experience.
This position is eligible for overtime compensation
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
- High School Diploma or GED
- One year of experience appropriate to the assignment
- Must presently be certified as a Certified Addiction Counselor Level II in the State of Colorado.
Conditions of Employment
- Must agree to fingerprinting and criminal background check . Required background checks include a review with the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- Subject to pre-employment, post-accident or incident or reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing per UCD Addiction Research and Treatment Services Department Policies.
- Individuals in recovery from substance abuse must have one year abstinence from alcohol and drug problems.
- In accordance with the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) , ARTS cannot employ individuals (who may have contact with residents) who have (1) engaged in sexual abuse in a prison, jail , lockup, community confinement facility, juvenile facility , or other Institution (as defined in 42 U.S. C . § 1997); (2) been convicted of engaging or attempting to engage in sexual activity in the community facilitated by force, overt or implied threats of force, or coercion , or if the victim did not consent or was unable to consent or refuse; or (3) been civilly or administratively adjudicated to have engaged in the activity described in (1-3) of this section. Material omissions regarding such misconduct, or the provision of materially false information , shall be grounds for termination
- Must possess and maintain a valid State of Colorado Driver's License or be able to obtain a valid State of Colorado driver's license within 30 days of hire
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
- Experience working in a substance abuse treatment environment with a focus on women's issues (i.e. trauma ; domestic violence; mental health treatment; parenting and child development ;barriers women experience in treatment such as childcare, employment, finding a job that pays enough to support their family ; etc .)
- Experience working with offender population
- Experience documenting behaviors according to established policies and procedures
- Experience observing, monitoring and/or intervening in drug/alcohol treatment
- Experience providing group and individualized clinical care for adult clients
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs and ability to learn software programs
- Experience using an Electronic Health Record
- Ability to establish boundaries with clients
- Ability to manage difficult behaviors
- Ability to track client progress through the development and updates of treatment plans
- Ability to deliver individual and group counseling services
- Ability to apply ethical guidelines of profession
- Ability to be nonjudgmental and respectful of others beliefs, values, and culture
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. 4) Copy of diploma, certificate, or transcripts, or be able to provide a copy at time of hire. Questions should be directed to Sharon Hawkins at [email protected]
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Denver
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20280 - SOM-PSYCH-ARTS SP/G
Posting Date: Nov 20, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Sharon Hawkins
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00670064