University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
College of Nursing
Dental Assistant (Dental Care I)
Position #1401, Req #14839
Position location: Sheridan Health Services
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The College of Nursing has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Dental Assistant position.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
Nature of Work:
The University of Colorado, College of Nursing, is seeking a Dental Care I for a full-time, (1.0 FTE) benefits-eligible position within its federally qualified community health center, Sheridan Health Services (SHS), in Denver, CO 80236. This position will provide quality oral health care to patients at the community clinic site.
Sheridan Health Services (SHS) is a multi-site, nurse-managed federally qualified community health center, funded through the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Bureau of Primary Healthcare; and is a collaborative effort between the College of Nursing and the Sheridan School District. There are now approximately 40 employees at two convenient locations to serve community health needs primarily for residents of Sheridan, Englewood, and North Littleton. A school-based clinic is located in the Sheridan School District Administration building. The community health center is located in southwest Denver on the Fort Logan campus and provides services to adults. Services offered include primary care across the lifespan; prenatal and postpartum midwifery care, gynecology, dentistry, pharmacy, behavioral health, and outpatient substance abuse treatment. We extend the reach of the clinic through public health outreach where nursing students provide community outreach, health education, and home visitation services. Nursing.ucdenver.edu/Sheridan
Examples of Work Performed:
- Assists dentist, dental hygienists, and dental care II positions during a variety of treatment procedures.
- Teaches undergraduate students in all specialized areas of four-ha nded dentistry which includes, but not limited to, surgical, periodontal, restorative, and all other related procedures. Patient preparation and positioning; clinical area preparation for the treatment of patients.
- Prepares specialized instruments set-ups for faculty, residents, and undergraduate students to be used during dental patient treatment. Inspects appropriate instruments/tools for good condition/working order. Performs appropriate aseptic and sterilization techniques.
- Performs dental intraoral and extraoral radiographs using appropriate technique, x-ray equipment and safety equipment. Develops, mounts and identifies radiographic films. Troubleshoots the scanner to make sure films are being developed with high quality.
- Performs routine clerical work in support of clinic activities including scheduling appointments, assisting patients, and entering data into computer.
- Electronic Health Record input/scheduling, data reporting and other duties as assigned.
- Ensure strict compliance with University and professional policies/procedures.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position starts at $32,520 and is commensurate with skills and experience.
This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
- Graduate from an accredited dental assistant training program.
- Prior EHR (electronic health record) experience, this includes student externship
- Current BLS/CPR certification
Conditions of employment:
- Must be willing and able to utilize bilingual Spanish/English speaking skills on daily basis
- Must be willing and able to remain credentialed and ensure credentialing materials stay current.
- Must be willing and able to work weekends as needed for promotional events
- Must be willing and able to work in patient care environment with some exposure to biological hazards and infectious diseases
- One year of dental care experience
- Dental assistant certification.
Skill and Ability Requirements:
- Exemplary customer service skills
- Collaborative nature
- Analytical thinker
- Strong social skills
- Fundamental knowledge of dental materials, their use, maintenance and storage
- Computer competency
- Some familiarity with an Electronic Medical Record program
- Exemplary organizational skills and ability to prioritize
- Ability to function as a team member
- Highly responsible and reliable
- Receptionist functions
- Maintain sensitive & confidential client information according to HIPAA policy.
- Remain credentialed and ensure credentialing materials stay current.
- Participates in quality improvement efforts for continued high quality care
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) 4. Copy of BLS/CPR certificate Questions should be directed to [[email protected]]
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20468 - College of Nursing
Posting Date: Nov 20, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: College of Nursing HR
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00001401