Lead Travel Clinic Nurse II (RN)
Areas of Intereset: Healthcare
Functional Areas: Student Affairs
Department: Wardenburg Health Center
Requisition Number: 14556
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Employment Type: University Staff
Posting Close Date: 11-Dec-2018
Wardenburg Health Services welcomes applications for an 80% time Lead Travel Clinic RN who will oversee and manage the Medical Services Travel Clinic. This position requires a competent Travel RN that is able to perform and assist with travel clinic appointments. These appointments include: offering counseling around routine and travel vaccines, travel medications, protection against non-vaccine preventable disease, and health and safety behaviors; and providing vaccines and medications prescribed and or administered per Travel Clinic standing orders. The RN helps to devise and implement new policies and processes, supervise training of new RN hires, and acts as a liaison to campus constituents. They also assume administrative duties, which include but are not limited to: overseeing annual peer chart review, setting travel clinic hours each semester, and working with marking and IT to update any website and or EMR changes.
Additionally, this position functions as a Triage and Clinical RN when not working in a specialty clinic and or fulfilling Lead Travel Clinic RN duties. They provide comprehensive health care, education, and counseling primarily to the UCB student population.
Who We Are
Wardenburg Health Services staff understands and is committed to the unique health concerns of our student population, making us an unparalleled source of advocacy for student wellness at CU Boulder. We provide a comprehensive range of health care services in several on-campus locations. The Wardenburg Medical Clinic provides a wide range of health care services for students including, but not limited to: primary care for illnesses and injuries, as well as chronic conditions, physicals, sexually transmitted infection testing and treatment, allergy shots, vaccinations, travel health care, and concussion care.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Triage and Clinical RN
- Rotate with all medical clinic RNs to coordinate and manage the treatment room including primary care needs, triage/ urgent care needs, provider physicals, and the immunization clinic.
- Work with medical providers to devise and implement a treatment plan in accordance with medical guidelines, including obtaining appropriate vital signs and documenting pertinent medical history in the Electronic Medical Record for chronic and acute patients.
- Manage Chronic Care Team patients’ specialty medication administration, educating and empowering patients to administer their own medication once comfortable.
- Triage patients (in person or via phone) to assess their medical needs.
- Initiate standing orders including medication management (intravenous, intramuscular, inhalation, intraocular, intra auricular, oral, and topical), IV insertion, EKG, x-ray ordering, lab specimen collection and ordering, wound care, fitting of durable medical equipment, etc.
- Counsel/educate patients around health and safety behaviors, preventative health care, wellness, use of supplies and reinforces provider’s instructions.
- Assist with, or direct the scheduling of follow-up care or referrals, assist in the evaluation of outcomes of plan of care with patient.
- Review and interpret immunization records, make recommendations, administer appropriate vaccines in accordance with CDC schedules and guidelines.
- Order appropriate labs and or screening tests based on health history and or outside screening measures and initiates any paperwork for provider to review and or complete during their physical exams.
Lead Travel Clinic RN
- Assist in revising, devising, and implementing new policies and processes.
- Supervise the training of new RN hires to Travel Clinic, including updating training guidelines and tools.
- Organize annual peer chart review, including revising review tool(s) as necessary.
- Liaise with appropriate campus constituents.
- Assist in staffing of clinic.
- Act as point of contact for all travel related decisions, including EMR templates, educational bulletins and handouts, and website content.
- Complete documentation in the electronic medical record including updating the patient summary screen.
- Responsible for charging for all procedures, treatments and medications given.
- Document nursing interventions, phone calls, and nursing assessments clearly in the EMR.
Routine and Continuous Duties
- Maintain current knowledge of Policies for Medical Services at Wardenburg Medical Clinic, specifically those related to Medical Clinic.
- Perform data collection and reporting Q.I monitors, assuring sufficient stock of supplies and medications along with checking for expired medication and supplies, and check equipment for proper function and maintenance in the Medical Clinic.
What You Should Know
- This position will be 80% time.
- This position is required to respond to all "code blue" pages throughout WHC and therefore, must be BLS certified, familiar with the crash cart and its content and is prepared to administer BLS measures.
What We Can Offer
The anticipated starting salary for this position is $62,400 annually (for 80% time).
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be Adaptable. Be Strategic. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Registered Nurse with State of Colorado upon hire.
- At least two years of related experience.
- Current BLS certification.
- Position requires basic functional computer skills (experience with Windows based systems).
What You Will Need
- Excellent management skills, as this person will act as point person for questions regarding specialty clinic (SC), and evaluate and provide guidance for RNs working in SC
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
What We Would Like You To Have
- 3 years of experience in ER, Urgent Care, Student Health or Primary Care.
- International Society of Travel Medicine Certified.
- Current ACLS certification
- Experience with EMR.
- Ability to communicate and relate well with staff and students in an academic environment.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by December 11, 2018 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
The University of Colorado is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer