Assistant Professor, Education Department
The Education Department at Curry College invites qualified teacher educators for undergraduate education programs with expertise in curriculum & pedagogy, child development and effective teaching practices to apply for a full-time position at the Assistant Professor rank to begin August 2019.
We seek an educator and scholar who actively connects theory and practice in the classroom, advances the field of preparing new educators, and brings a current understanding of pedagogical best practices to their teaching, scholarship, and service. Knowledge of early education /elementary middle school education, current national standards and best practices for teaching children from birth through grade 8.
Candidates who have experience with culturally, academically and economically diverse students are strongly encouraged to apply. The successful candidate will be expected to also contribute to content areas in the department, depending on their area(s) of expertise. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
- Teaching courses in curriculum & pedagogy to early education, elementary/middle level education majors. Teaching Load is ¾.
- Teaching other courses focused on introduction to the field of education, educational psychology educational programming, special education, classroom management and positive behavior techniques and school/family relationships depending on the expertise of the applicant.
- Supervising education majors in clinical field and/or student teaching experiences.
- Advising and mentoring education majors.
- Engaging in service to the department in programming and curricular development, admissions and recruitment efforts.
- Guide and participate in ongoing data collection and analysis to productively participate in program review and accreditation.
- Engage with community organizations.
- Pursue a program of scholarly inquiry, including, but not limited to, presentations at conferences and publications in scholarly journals.
- Candidates for the appointment should have completed a doctorate degree in curriculum & instruction or related field (required by start of appointment).
- Minimum of 5 years teaching experience in educational settings from birth through grade 8.
- Demonstrated expertise in curriculum & pedagogy at the early education/elementary/middle level.
- Evidence of an emerging research agenda that informs their work as a teacher educator.
- One to three years of experience teaching courses at the college level.
- Experience teaching/working in culturally, academically and economically diverse settings.
- Commitment to teaching diverse learners and modeling inclusive practices.
- Experience teaching/working within a specific content area that complements the needs of the department (for example: literacy, social studies, special education, teaching English to speakers of other languages, science education).
- Experience integrating technology into curriculum.
- Experience supervising education majors and/or serving as a cooperating practitioner in the field.
- Knowledge of and experience with the Massachusetts DEEC Core Competencies and or Massachusetts DESE Professional Standards for Teachers.
- Experience serving in a leadership capacity in an Education Department.
Employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment background checks.
Please apply online at https://www.curry.edu/about-us/community-resources/employment/job-opportunities for consideration. Interested applicants must submit curriculum vitae, cover letter including a description of your teaching philosophy, a statement of contributions to diversity (statement addressing past and/or potential contributions to diversity through teaching, research, professional activity and/or service), and a copy of your unofficial transcript (an official transcript will be required upon acceptance of an offer of employment) and a list of three professional references including complete contact information and professional titles.