Manager, Financial Accounting
Job location: Bertrand Hall
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2018-11-16
Dominican educates and prepares students to be ethical leaders and socially responsible global citizens who incorporate the Dominican values of study, reflection, community and service into their lives. The University is committed to diversity, sustainability and the integration of the liberal arts, the sciences and professional programs. Dominican University of California is an independent university offering the best of Liberal Arts combined with a rigorous professional education. Founded in 1890, Dominican enjoys an over century-long reputation for excellence in scholarship, research and community outreach. The University offers more than 60 academic programs that reflect the diversity and creativity of both the faculty and the students. With about 1,900 students and a student to faculty ratio of 10:1, Dominican is able to successfully blend the personal attention associated with smaller schools with the academic resources of a larger university.
Resume/CV and cover letter are required and must be attached in attachment section of the application process (Step 2). Refer to the posting instructions for any additional materials that may be required.
Refer to the Dominican Employment Page here for adjunct opportunities and application instructions.
Title: Manager of Financial Accounting
Department: Business Services Office
Division: Finance and Administration
Reports to: Controller
Supervises: Senior Accountant
Status: Full Time; Exempt
Dominican University of California is seeking an individual for a Manager of Financial Accounting position. Reporting to the Controller, this position is responsible for assisting with the overall accounting and financial reporting operations of the College. Under the direction of the Controller, the Manager of Financial Accounting will also supervise the senior accountant to ensure that the university’s resources are expended in accordance with appropriate guidelines and financial activity is recorded in an accurate and timely manner. A successful candidate must be capable of working collegially with a diverse group of faculty, staff and students.
- Review and approve journal entries and perform balance sheet reconciliations
- Perform accounting, analysis, reporting and audit preparation
- Research tax issues and in assuring College tax compliance including preparation of the annual 990 tax return, Quarterly Sales Taxes and other regulatory filings.
- Assist in the management of the annual audit process, including providing necessary data and analysis to auditors.
- Oversee the general ledger reconciliation process to ensure accuracy of financial statements.
- Ensure the accurate and timely management of accounts receivable aging and reconciliation.
- Assist in monthly, year-end and ad-hoc financial reporting and analysis.
- Coordinate monthly and year-end closings.
- Coordinate all cash management and banking services
- Coordinate all insurance activities required for the university
- Timely filing NCAA annual survey, Unsecured property taxes(571L), and unclaimed property.
- Document procedures & internal controls to ensure compliance with regulatory and College guidelines related to accounting transactions.
- Assist in developing policies related to fiscal management as needed, and train personnel on policies and procedures.
- Establish and maintain financial systems and controls which ensure the integrity of all systems, processes and data.
- Influence and manage positive and effective cross-functional relationships with co-workers, Department and Program Managers, vendors and students within a diverse multi-cultural environment.
- Perform other projects/duties as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, financial management, or related field.
- Minimum six years of accounting experience.
- Proficiency in accounting/financial management principles, practices, and procedures.
- Demonstrate principles of supervision, including employee recruitment, training, development, and performance evaluation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Highly motivated team player with solid technical accounting and multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to provide a service-oriented approach to clients, both internal and external.
- CPA certification.
- Master’s degree in accounting, financial management, or related field.
- Experience in higher education environment as well as non-academic setting strongly preferred.
- Prior experience with Great Plains financial applications.
- Proficiency in accounting/financial management principles, practices, and procedures as they relate to college and university environments.
- Knowledge of state and federal tax and regulatory codes relating to tax exempt entities.
Additional Position Information
- Open until filled
- Must be willing to consent to a background check and credit check
Dominican University of California is an independent, international, learner-centered university, offering both undergraduate and graduate programs. Dominican has a 1:10 teacher-to-student ratio, an average class size of 16, with a small-town feeling in a park- like campus. We blend interdisciplinary core courses, real-world studies, and small classes with close and supportive academic advising and mentoring.
- Link to apply: https://dominican.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/careers
- A cover letter is required
- Compile resume/CV and cover letter in one pdf document and upload in the Resume/CV section
- For further questions on the application process, please contact [email protected]
Dominican University of California is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to excellence through diversity, and takes pride in its multicultural environment. We are committed in thought, word, and deed to recruiting and retaining a workforce that values the diversity of its student body. The University actively promotes an institutional culture that practices equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of all under-represented groups in higher education.